top Tech tips

The Boogie Man

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ideal solution if you wear contacts are the extended wear type that you just leave in for an entire month and yes you can sleep in them, I've not looked back since getting them.

Charlie

They sound a bit rubbish, if you can't look backwards with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1.My favourite soldering tool is a small channel backboard from an old A+H mixer - it has RCA, 1/4 Jack, MXLR and FXLR inputs on it, and fits in a vice or even wedged between two books/stageweights/toolboxes etc.. Having something in your toolbox for this is the point!

those flexi croc clamps are good on a bench but horrible backstage on a flightcase under a headtorch. I just need one for 5P DMX now... but I use hard adaptors for that anyway, and they belong on the other list!

2.always have tape, electrical and gaffa, multiple colours are good, and dont let any other bugger touch 'em, or they're gone. Trust No-one.

3. This is all about techniques - did anyone mention be nice to each other? Try 'please', 'thanks' and 'nice one' (but dont give them your tape!). Crews will love you, they might even buy you beer, or help tow your van out the mud on Sunday.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Never sit down with a lightbulb in your back pocket.

Seriously tho - dont put lamps on chairs! I work in a college with tech students and have seen this one!

Could someone clarify what 'gig arse' is? Does it mean sweaty gooch or followed through due to fear of falling off trussing?

I was led to believe that this term refers to having a very sweaty arse for long periods, combined with the after effects of surviving on take aways and other rubbish from get in to get out.

so yes, lots of chafing.

• 3 months later...
If marking cables etc with lx tape, use white first then the colour. No advantage during the day, but in dim lighting the white on either side of the dark colour makes the tape stand out. Dark blue on a black cable can sometimes be hard to locate in the dark.;)

4) If using a PC for a performance, disable anything you don't need to be running, e.g. automatic updating, wifi, and especially any scheduled jobs like disk defragging, virus scanning etc

On the same sort of line as this - set your background to black and clear up any icons you have. That way, if your PC crashes, you don't get a pic of you at your last birthday drunk with your mates, you just get a black background that isn't (hopefully) too obvious. Or, put a logo on there of the show you're doing!

We have an issue in our theatre where the "wings" are so tiny, you can barely fit a person in there. We also have booms and end up with the cable trailing to the wall box being everywhere. I hate gaffaing it down becuase it then becomes impossible to trace so I made a little box that sits against the wall on the floor. Imagine an L shape made out of MDF. Now it sits there and all the cable runs behind it but can be easily accessed. Pretty simple - just keeps them tidied away so the dancers don't stand on them and hurt their feet.

I'm another fan of labelling. I label EVERYTHING and I've got mini sharpies that fit on to a key ring so I can label wherever I go :D I label really obvious stuff as I teach students. So, the cans are labelled with "Headset in here" and "link to next pack for sound" and "link from pack on lighting". I'm hoping they absorb information being in the tech box so as I teach them things, they also get to remember it. No idea if it works or not?!

Oh and how on earth would a tampon help gig arse? I can see it helping the sweaty side but people are suggesting it's a numb bum feeling?! Love the phrase tho. heehee.

Emma.

Order 5000 of them here and you'll get them for £0.60 each!

I'm also a fan of labelling everything, and things like vocal mics, I usually label with a little ring of coloured tape about half a foot below the connection itself with a different colour for the different mics, the desk labelled correspondingly. This way, if mics get swapped around (as happened to me last week on the first night of the Bath festival, with four different mics :D ), you can see which is which.

All of my local 'The Works' sell them for 49p each. look for a 'sweetie jar' near the till. Although you do get odd looks if you take the jar, empty it out onto the floor and pick out all of the black and dark purple ones. :-) Our local Adsa has been know to stock them sporadically in 4 packs (RED, GRN, BLU & BLK) or the Neon (ORG, CYN, PNK, GRN) for about £2

The older hands on hear will be familiar with the saying ,' think about the load out,'

basically as you are putting your show into a venue think about how it is going to come out especially if you are the one doing the get out. Make sure the boxes you need at the start of your load out are close to hand and not buried at the back of the dock, think about your cable runs don't weave them in and out of every permanent fixture in the venue, lay them in neatly and think about the order they are going to come out in. This will make your get out much simpler and hopefully quicker as well as making fault finding easier. I'm sure others can add more tips to help prepare for the load out.

Recently I have started sing those coloured Velcro cable tidies that you get from Poundsaver etc I am using them to tidy up the patch on Avo dimmer racks instead of coloured tape. when inevitably a problem occurs in the patch you can open them up more easily and then close them again, much less hassle than tape. you can use appropriate colours for your trusses or just make pretty pattens depending on what takes your fancy!

Cheers all

Leo

If lending out equipment (to friends) e.g. cables, use a different coloured lx tape to the colour they have. Put the colour you going to use on each end of the cable, therefore when you collect/get it back, you know its yours. Doesn't always work but does come in handy sometimes.

Archived