top Tech tips

The Boogie Man

Ha ha I got my sharpies from Home Bargains. They were £1.99 for 6 different colours. No black or dark colours in the pack I got but the purple one on my keyring brightens up my day. Heehee.

On the lines of labelling mics, I've tried two methods. One is to label with different colours but depending on lighting conditions, you can't always tell the difference between yellow and white, green and blue etc so I either use bands of tape to correspond to numbers I.e 2 bands of tape goes to channel 2, or use cable ties round the cable which look neater than LX tape.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the lines of labelling mics, I've tried two methods. One is to label with different colours but depending on lighting conditions, you can't always tell the difference between yellow and white, green and blue etc so I either use bands of tape to correspond to numbers I.e 2 bands of tape goes to channel 2, or use cable ties round the cable which look neater than LX tape.

I'd like to see your channel 7 mic! (or 8, 9, 10 come to that!)

From the outset we have chosen not to use insulation tape to mark cables.

Cable ties with moulded cable tags marked as to legnth etc are just as effective and dont become a gummy sticky mess after a few shows

Also all cables have velcro type cable ties on the none public viewable end i.e. the male end of a mic lead. never need tape to secure a coil, the fastener is already there! and again no mess.

reusable, ajustable, and no mess :)

I find that always giving 100%, and meaning it, no matter how ###### the job is always pays off. Clients love it when you go out of your way to help them. They remember that. They wont remember you if you sit in the corner hiding. If you want more work, earn it!

Dunc

Testing your PA before the show with the 'maniacal laugh' sfx at full volume whilst a nervous 8 year old cast member is crossing the stage is a good way to make your stage wet.

Found that out to my cost last night.

Check out ebay, for all your organisational needs. I bought 12 black sharpies for under £6. Now I've got them in my toolkit, my laptop bag, anything that might possibly end up at work with me.

Purchase a Dyno-tape machine, you will never look back.

Handy Hint, If you use a laptop at work, or away from home on work business, make sure your insurance will cover it.

Additionally, a laptop lock is a wonderful investment...

On top of all of that, if you keep work paperwork/correspondence on a computer of any kind (which I think it's fair to say a lot of us do) make sure it's backed up, constantly. You do NOT want to lose your focus notes, or patch list in the event of a fried computer.

Keeping hard paper copies is also essential.

Learning the hard way on any of the above will be costly, damaging to your reputation, embarrassing and even potentially show stopping...

Genus

I would add to that by emphasising the absolute importance of backing up!

If possible, do it to different location as well as to USB drives/etc. What would happen if there was a fire at your house? What if a burglar stole both your laptop and your USB hard drive? There are a number of ways to (fairly cheaply) back up over the internet to remote locations.

Remember to back up things like digital photographs whether of your work or not... In the digital age we sadly can't send off for another set of photos with the negatives... You may well rely on photos of your previous work to get certain work.

There are a number of ways to (fairly cheaply) back up over the internet to remote locations.

Dropbox would be one, you get 2GB free then you have to pay.

https://www.getdropbox.com/

If you use Yahoo as your e-mail client, then you can also use it in a similar format as dropbox, although I'm not sure how to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
For every out door job (especially firework jobs in fields in the middle of nowhere) keep a bottle of water, camping stove, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, cups and a kettle in the kit, its amazing how much work gets done in 15 mins when you say teas up in 15 if you get to a point to stop.

We take a microwave and kettle to most gigs, saves a fortune on 'fast food'

As others have said labelling (or colour coding) cables is also a real timesaver. Custom wiring looms also help if that is an option in you're situation,

I used to have a fridge flight cased up - and racks of beers and home made food to fill it.... There's nothing better for the crew than having a cold beer and bite to eat on a baking hot day when they're done setting up in the middle of a field. Invest in a properly portable one, and put it in shock damped casing. My domestic one didn't like being moved that much!

Clean & Clear wet wipes. I've tried many brands and these tick all boxes. Brilliantly fresh on your face in a baking club leave you feeling much more human. Also no other wet wipe seems to get grime off hands/desks, steering wheels, etc. as effectively. And they can triple up as hankies, toilet roll AND EVEN ear-plugs.

Show to your crew that you are able and willing to do the job they're doing, especially at the end of a long get out when everyone's tired.... And don't skimp on crew - it's better to pay for one extra pair of hands and get everyone home an hour earlier than have slower progress, a later finish, bigger overtime bill.... (and probably more earache unless you use those wet wipes)

Hello All

1) 20 Black sharpies and a silver sharpie for only £4.99 from "The Works" Arts and Crafts store. Bargain!

2) If you have a Mac or an Iphone then THIS seems like an amazing investment.

AndyJones

Edit:Everything pretty much!

Archived