SFX Standard vs. Deluxe

glenn@KC

It's okay for me but then I'm only just up the road from the company. Totally OT but I've have some problems lately with slow loads from overseas sites so I wonder if there's router trouble somewhere between Aus and the rest of the world.

Anyway, in case I have a different URL bookmarked or something, the address that works for me is: http://www.soundcuesystem.com/index.html

Bob

On that note I see the CRT website were writing about CSC being used for shows and said it was used on "White Devil at the Chocolate Factory designed by Keith Hutchinson (probably the first 'officially known' person to use his iPod to control and programme CSC!)"

What's that all about? Does CSC work with iTunes? We use iPods all the time and having a system that works with iTunes would be great.

This is probably in conjunction with a Mac isn't it? I know a Mac would be great for what I need to do but convincing the I.T. dept that would simply be impossible.

When the CSC Website says that Keith used an iPod to program CSC, I think they mean that he used a Virtual Network Connection (VNC) running on an iPod Touch to remote control the PC running CSC.

For those of you not familiar with VNC, it allows you to remote control one computer from another - something which can be extremely helpful for tweaking sound effects from different places within the theatre.

At least, I think thats what it means...

The other thing that was drawing me to SFX is the way I’ve seen it being uses in some massive productions (on the west end and touring) but after the link mrg198 left I can see CSC has had some pretty big outings as well.

I think it fair to say that SFX is was the choice of the professionals for a mid-range audio plus show control package, particularly in the USA. Its been around since the mid 1990s and until recently it was almost unchanged. Back in the 1990s SFX was the affordable option for decent audio playback and show control. But dont be fooled into thinking its the best possible piece of software and thus you have to have it; many show control professionals describe SFX as a toy (and some use much more derogitory statements).

Today one has many more options, and as I said, I think SFX has had its day. It will, however, continue to be used at top flight shows for many years as many top flight sound designers are familiar with the package. Step down a level, to where the pro-SFX bias is removed and things are very different. SCS has many happy users in that space. And SCS is continuing to evolve; I'm a licencee from a few major versions back and back then SCS was OK, but well short of great; the leaps the package had made since then are huge.

Archived