Idea for LED PARs

ChazHS

I've had an idea for powering LED PAR cans, I've always hated having chunky CEE 16A connectors on the trailing leads, I think they are too bulky and look ugly.

I thought what might be a good idea is to use one of these:

http://images7.thomann.de/pics/prod/154786.jpg

What I plan to do is take out one end of the connector (just a couple of screws as they are just chassis mount Powercons) and drill a hole in the side of the casing. Fit a gland into it, pull the cable from the LED PAR into the casing, connect it into the chassis Powercon (commoned with the outgoing power) and bobs your uncle, nice slim, pleasant and rhobust connector! :D

What do you guys think?

Same idea as the T Line 16a from Lewden. Obviously you will invalidate any warranty you have, but if you do it properly, and it passes a PAT, then I don't see why not.

Shouldn't incavildate the warranty of the PARs, you've still gotta put plugs on them! As for the Neutrik Powercon, its only two chassis connectors mounted to a metal tube with 3 wires in, so not a lot to go wrong!

Also, MUCH smaller footprint than the straight-thru CEE 16As.

Same idea as the T Line 16a from Lewden. Obviously you will invalidate any warranty you have, but if you do it properly, and it passes a PAT, then I don't see why not.

I've been considering using the 16A T-lines on our stock of LEDs. But then I seemed to recall seeing a similar IEC in/out option on CPC some time ago and intend to look at that as an alternative.

The problem is, Chaz, I don't think I have ever seen a 3-way Powercon Split. This, and those are JUST extenders, not Y-Splits.

I am also personally annoyed that IPIX put the Satalites in Powercon, let alone more Powercon.. please no!

We fitted T Lines to all our Led Pars, and it works really well. Rigging is so much easier now, and it cuts down on the number of splits on the bar/truss.

Very worthwhile doing.

However, if Neutrik made an official powercon alternative, I might be pursuaded. The T Lines do add a fair amount of weight to the end of the cable, thus chaffing the cable in the gland. (PVC cable as supplied on the pars) When I've replaced the broken cables, I've used HO7, and not had a problem since.

What I plan to do is take out one end of the connector (just a couple of screws as they are just chassis mount Powercons) and drill a hole in the side of the casing. Fit a gland into it, pull the cable from the LED PAR into the casing, connect it into the chassis Powercon (commoned with the outgoing power) and bobs your uncle, nice slim, pleasant and robust connector! ;)
The problem is, Chaz, I don't think I have ever seen a 3-way Powercon Split. This, and those are JUST extenders, not Y-Splits.

I am also personally annoyed that IPIX put the Satalites in Powercon, let alone more Powercon.. please no!

If you re-read the OP JDP, you'd see he is intending to make his own T-lines, if you ignore the gland on a T-line its basically just an extender/plug and socket, like the Powercon version he's found, so stick the gland in and wire the LED par in parallel with one of the Powercon connectors and Bob's your uncle, one Y split/T-line! As to whether or not to use Powercon, well that's a discussion for another day, but in the compact connector stakes, the locking nature of them compared to an IEC (excluding the new locking ones), must surely be of importance in the huge rock and roll tours you always say your doing? :P

A couple of issues:

The cheapest that I have seen the A to B converters is around £12, then with 2 Powercon at £3.50 each, it seems a pretty expensive solution, not to mention the time it is going to take taking the converters apart.

Secondly, at least the humble 16A connector, in its worst incarnation is IP44. Think Powercon is IPXX, so the LED can could not be used outside.

PCE are doing a copy of the Lewden T-line, which in my view is a pain to wire. Could be the solution that you are looking for?

Jon

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I've been considering using the 16A T-lines on our stock of LEDs. But then I seemed to recall seeing a similar IEC in/out option on CPC some time ago and intend to look at that as an alternative.
If you ask me, which you didn't, but am going to tell you anyway, IEC's are not a professional connector. And they are IPXX which means that they cannot be used outside. Go for a good connector such as the new PCE T-line or a Bals black 16A connector.

Secondly, at least the humble 16A connector, in its worst incarnation is IP44. Think Powercon is IPXX, so the LED can could not be used outside.
So which LED ppar cans are rated for outdoor use? More than 0? Didn't think so.
If you ask me, which you didn't, but am going to tell you anyway, IEC's are not a professional connector.
Get real; how many bits of kit in ANY venue, of whatever size , are on IECs? Dozens. I hate the damned things too, but to say they "are not a professional connector" is plain madness. Anything from lanterns, to desks (lx&fx) through to the kettle...

If you ask me, which you didn't, but am going to tell you anyway, IEC's are not a professional connector.
Get real; how many bits of kit in ANY venue, of whatever size , are on IECs? Dozens. I hate the damned things too, but to say they "are not a professional connector" is plain madness. Anything from lanterns, to desks (lx&fx) through to the kettle...

LED Par wise, fitting an IP rated connector is pointless if the PAR is not IP rated!! There are IP rated LED's coming on to the market, a mate of mine sells them....

I agree about IEC's. They are not the best connector for many situations, but are ideal for many others as mentioned. I don't see them as being 'unprofessional'.

It's inappropriate use of the things that's a problem.

In the same way as I view the 1/4 inch jack. The best connector for PA use is arguably the speakon, previous to that the XLR.

You don't often hear people calling the 1/4 jack unprofessional when there used in a PA stack or line array, just inappropriate. Same for the IEC :P

PixelPAR by Thomas is IP rated... so thats at least one. Just because an IEC is there does not not mean that it should be there. And I said it was my view.

Archived