Idea for LED PARs

ChazHS

It is rather a lot of effort and certainly not cheap especially when you include the supply/extensions. But not a bad idea for neatness.

However, there is an important issue with Powercon. You cannot connect/disconnect under load. A responsible user can be aware and avoid but it might not be immediately obvious and should be taken into consideration.

Secondly, at least the humble 16A connector, in its worst incarnation is IP44. Think Powercon is IPXX, so the LED can could not be used outside.
So which LED ppar cans are rated for outdoor use? More than 0? Didn't think so.
If you ask me, which you didn't, but am going to tell you anyway, IEC's are not a professional connector.
Get real; how many bits of kit in ANY venue, of whatever size , are on IECs? Dozens. I hate the damned things too, but to say they "are not a professional connector" is plain madness. Anything from lanterns, to desks (lx&fx) through to the kettle...

Gotta say I agree with Andrew's scoff here!

In my humble opinion if a connector can be used safely and effectively and I believe that in the vast majority of instances I'll be using them they will, then the IEC is a perfectly fine connector for the job.

After all, MANY moving lights, fog/hazers, strobes, and other lanterns/effects use them with no major problems. (OK, the Strand Prelude version of the IEC inlet turns in to a bit of a pain, but you can't have everything! :P) Not to mention the array of sound gear that is supplied with IEC somewhere along the line.

Not a professional connector? Rubbish.

Not always a suitable connector - more likely.

ive looked at this quite alot, looked at different options etc as im about to buy between 8-16 LED parcans for doing uplighting in venues/marquees

you have to ask what your application will be, if this will be purely for use on rigging in ceilings, then any connector will do

If you are doing uplighting etc, you will need some sort of IP rating for when doing those damp marquees

Lets look at the pros and cons of the different connectors

16A Plug - not too expensive, widely used, ip rated and useful for sub hiring too, bulky, can be unplugged whilst on

Powercon - expensive to buy leads etc, compact, not going to be compatible with anyone elses equipment, so no easy interchange of cables, cannot be unplugged whilst on, no ip rating

iec - cheap, widely used, loads of spare cables around, small and compact, no ip rating

Normal 13a Plugs - Cheap, widely used, loads of spare cables and easy to interchange, no ip rating, can be unplugged whilst on

I dont think you should consider this powercon, you can get 16A sockets that are a nice black (with a blue ring) and that was what I was looking at getting. Why havnt you considered normal 13A sockets? Very cheap to implement and a fair bit smaller than 16A sockets

Powercon - expensive to buy leads etc, compact, not going to be compatible with anyone elses equipment, so no easy interchange of cables, cannot be unplugged whilst on, no ip rating

I dont think you should consider this powercon, you can get 16A sockets that are a nice black (with a blue ring) and that was what I was looking at getting. Why havnt you considered normal 13A sockets? Very cheap to implement and a fair bit smaller than 16A sockets

I'm not a fan of 16A due to its bulkyness (these are mainly going to be for uplighting) and 13A is a bit of a no-no for me due to there being no 'pass thru' connector.

I'm aware the Powercon option is expensive, but thats not overly an issue as I don't need the gear immidiatly and will just have to space the amount of gear I buy over 2 months rather than just 1 if I were to go for IEC or something.

The main reason I thought the Powercon would be a good idea is because of the size and rhobustness of the connector (don't like IECs, had too many break on me!)

Archived