Matching Speakers and Amps????

mousedadrummer182

Ok, my mate has started to do DJing for house parties etc and is currently using a laptop and a quite powerful computer speaker system, which has a 10 inch active sub. The sub also contains an amp for the left and right satellite speakers, so basically its just a normal set of active computer speakers. He has recently aquired some quite large hifi speakers which he wants to use intead of the satellite speakers that came with the set. However these speakers are 6ohm and the current ones are 8. The specs for the amp also say that the amp produces a min of 4 ohm bridged, which would suggest a min of 8ohm per channel.

So what would the best thing to do? There is only a 2 ohm difference, would this be ok with computer speakers, as im not sure what the electronics of these are like. Would it be best to use an external amp for the satellite speakers, or use impedence matching transformers?

He rele wants to know coz he doesnt want to risk damaging the amp, keeping into consideration that it will be used on a high power for long periods of time...and I couldnt rele give him a definate answer ** laughs out loud **

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

hes just started doing house parties and stuff, and aint got n e proper PA gear at the moment, hes gunna see if its worth investing first, so just using some cheap/free stuff, and as I sed, hes only doing house parties in small rooms for mates.

I dont know much about the speakers, they might not have even come from a hifi, all he sed was that they were pioneer speakers...but that suggests to me that they are hifi.

Sorry, but this is a long way from what the Blue Room is about. You may get more helpful answers on a DJ forum.

I'll close this now before it goes off the rails, and to stop the natives nailing your hide to the fence for your barbarous abuse of the English language.

Archived