Rigging on scaff pole and stands

tom_the_LD

I've gone back to the venue dimensions and had a look and on balance not sure if truss will be an option, as by the time it's raised up it will be about 6 feet abot the ground and people are going to start bashing head!

However - What about building a table shape out of scaff, and bracing the sides with diagonals? Would this work - could use either steel or ally scaff?

If not then maybe it will be the couple of stands with lights on and then movers on some cases.

However - What about building a table shape out of scaff, and bracing the sides with diagonals? Would this work - could use either steel or ally scaff?

If not then maybe it will be the couple of stands with lights on and then movers on some cases.

dude go with flight cases. do u really want ur rig to look like a building site?

make life easy but effective rather than over complicating things.

10mins to rig your movers rather than a couple of hours

As said before simple is best. If it isn't much of a compromise then two stands either side is definitely the way I would go. Certainly not the questionable affair you are considering.

But if rigging full width was essential then personally I really don't see anything wrong with your original second option of a single 2" bar supported by two stands. The weight loading is not particularly high. Indeed, if you supported, say, 3' in at either end with a 6' centre span (or thereabouts) then it is actually no different than two separate stands/bars assuming load is reasonably evenly distributed.

Just as with Trilite it is the ground support that is important. Your load remains the same, therefore whichever option you go for you should really stay with the Manfrotto's.

remember that whatever you finally come up with (and let's all hope it's something safe) that the audience are going to need to be kept away from your stands, and lanterns, so think very carefully about placement, and height. 7 feet in the air is easily low enough to catch flailing arms, and if you don't overrig, will be even lower. If you can't guarantee that your stands aren't going to get smashed about I would seriously consider placing your lighting within the stage area - get some more of it on the floor if you have to.

Thanks, as ever for the more replies.

So nic, you think if I got the frottos then a 10' scaff pole would be fine? If I rigged in at each end slightly? The bar itself will be behind the band, as would the trilite.

Whilst not ESSENTIAL, having a bar spanning the whole length would be best.

Yes, no problem whatsoever. An 8' span on 2" bar with a few 56's is nothing. In fact the scaff itself (as steel) will probably weigh more than the lanterns. Consider that you can only rig pars so close together - a standard IWB bar of 6 64's is 7'6" and is 2" scaff. There is no difference.

As I keep saying, a strong, stable ground support is the important part here. You don't want any chance of the structure tipping over.

The Manfrotto's will give you this stability, especially when used at such a low trim. Just make sure that you have two people to wind up the stands evenly, one on each. Ensure all locks are off, wind up slowly counting holes and then tighten all locks again, returning handle to locked position. For extra confidence you can rotate the tripods so the legs don't sit in line at any point, further reducing any possibility of tipping.

Yes, no problem whatsoever. An 8' span on 2" bar with a few 56's is nothing. In fact the scaff itself (as steel) will probably weigh more than the lanterns. Consider that you can only rig pars so close together - a standard IWB bar of 6 64's is 7'6" and is 2" scaff. There is no difference.

Agreed. The stands are going to be far more of an issue than the scaff pole.

I'm not going to quote figures and calculations on here, but I have a BSc in civil engineering, have just looked up the capacity of 48mm x 4mm tube, and a dozen pars on a 4m length of steel scaff supported at both ends wouldn't worry me.

It wobbling about 10 feet in the air on a couple of cheapo stands would though!!!

Cheers dudes.

Have looked up the specs of the lights and bits and have worked out this:

Manfrotto wind up each stands (which would be the limit of loading) can take 30KG so combines loading of 60KG

12 PAR 56's @ 2KG each = 24KG

2 Robe 170's @ 11KG each = 22KG

This totals 46KG. The scaff pole (10') is then another 13.3KG.

This puts the total (rounding the scaff pole up to 14KG) at exactly 60KG, which to me seems to be cutting it a little fine even though the stands will barely be wound up (they can go to 3.70m high).

So I guess the 30KG load rating is when they are going to be at max height. So will I be ok as they're only going to be would to 7ft (2.1m)?

Cheers!

Tom

Cheers dudes.

Manfrotto wind up each stands (which would be the limit of loading) can take 30KG so combines loading of 60KG

12 PAR 56's @ 2KG each = 24KG

2 Robe 170's @ 11KG each = 22KG

This totals 46KG. The scaff pole (10') is then another 13.3KG.

This puts the total (rounding the scaff pole up to 14KG) at exactly 60KG, which to me seems to be cutting it a little fine even though the stands will barely be wound up (they can go to 3.70m high).

So I guess the 30KG load rating is when they are going to be at max height. So will I be ok as they're only going to be would to 7ft (2.1m)?

And of course, you've neglected to allow for cabling.....

I realised that a short while Mr Jules and as such have come up with the following plan (after speaking with the company Mr Pearce is correct about).

2 manfrotto stands with a 10' steel saff bar going between the two. I shall mount the 12 PAR 56's on this. I shall then sit the 2 170's on upturned flight cases at the back. Jobs a good 'un!

Cheers.

The 30Kg rating is for maximum extension. At minimum they are 45Kg ea. and you aren't going much above that. So you are well within the limits. Though I was going to point out that I see no way you could fit all that on 10'. Even just the pars will be pushing it, assuming you want to be able to focus them. The only solution would be to overrig, but then you would have to consider how low the underhung lamps become. I would avoid overhanging completely.

Archived