Really stupid question...

Dodgecaliber

and there was me thinking about older dedicated stage monitor desks with passive mic splits built in. Then I wondered if some of these were active splits. Could be, I thought? Never gave it much thought. Forgot all about it, and then came back to find out everyone was talking about mixers with built in amps!

Oh good, glad it wasn't just me then :helmetsmiley:

You will need to DI the signal though or if you can a line level isolator/DI (basiclly a DI with XLR in and out and no electronics) If not you will be sending Line level signal into a mic preamp. Although it will work wont sound to great.

Now this is a real passive mixer:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

The central panel with four rotary faders was a old BBC outside broadcast mixer (an MX 18) consisting of passive resistor circuits. They lingered around into the 1980's - largely because there was nothing electronic in them to go wrong! In this shot it has been built into a studio and feeds its mixed output into an amplifier to its left. I once used a bank of three of these mixers as extra channels to record a 9-piece band. As the caption says, bringing the level up on one channel took the level down on the others. Getting a balance took some time.....

K

Archived