School Show Tech - Problem

adamcoppard

WTF? I think you need to learn how phantom power works... it should never give "electric shocks"... if you are getting shocks its symptom of something much more serious, probably an earthing problem somewhere. But please don't blame it on phantom...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't a diagnosis, it was a probable cause. How did I narrow it down, before the button worked, and it was fine. Thanks for all your help, and I'll be taking a look into it over the next couple of days.

E2A: Rigging the system in the next couple of days for the second of two events it will get used for this year, to see how it handles. I will report back on the state of things.

Cables with frayed ends.

Cables pulled as tight as possible to do the lengths (our Speakon cables will only just reach, meaning it begins to get elevated).

As with the lanterns, well, there's no safety chains or anything. Just one bolt away from crashing down onto somebodys heads, with the flmisest cross part of the T.

Frayed ends - cut off the bad bit, refit plug/socket, PAT test, fixed

Cables pulled tight - move speakers/move amps, or buy/make longer cables.

No safety bonds - Buy some safety bonds, at a couple of quids each I'm sure they won't ruin the budget.

Just one bolt away from crashing down onto somebodys heads, with the flmisest cross part of the T.

I hope you aren't suggesting you are suspending your cabs with just the bolt hole on the top and not using a suitable hanging frame.

Josh

I mean in the sense that I am not responsible in the terms of what the school has bought, and how they choose to rig it is safe. I can only be responsible for what I rig (of which I get people with public liability to check over, if not, do the rig), and can only raise what I see. I can't be responsible for the fact that the kit is possing problems, if I know nothing of the fault.

Your attitude scares me. The problems you have identified - damaged cables, lack of safety bonds, etc - cost a minimal amount to fix. Especially in the case of damaged cables, which may well cost nothing to fix. In addition, while you may not have a legal duty to report or solve things which are unsafe, you have a moral duty to inform someone who can do something about it. Imagine how you'd feel if someone was seriously injured or killed because you were too lazy or too arrogant to report something dangerous. Personally I'm not sure I'd be able to live with myself...

I can't be responsible for the fact that the kit is possing problems, if I know nothing of the fault.

But you have already pointed out several problems that you are aware of. Including people receiving electric shocks which is a serious issue indeed. You can't just turn a blind eye and pretend you don't know (and don't forget you've posted the fact that you know of these issues on a public forum!).

I can't be responsible for the fact that the kit is possing problems, if I know nothing of the fault.

This is true, but if you consider the fact that you have just told us about these faults then I don't see how you can claim to know nothing about them? If you know there are problems then you must inform the responsible person before you start work, don't just rig it and then tell someone "that lot up there is dangerous". If they then do nothing about it then do not start the work. If something you do does cause an accident then you will be blamed for it, regardless of the legal responsibilities. People will always remember that it was you who did the job that caused the accident, is that a reputation you want?

I was using that as an example, to a previous point. I know there are issues with the kit, and I'm getting it sorted out. This £500 that is getting chucked about is both hire and upkeep if you like. Essentially, I'm probably going to salvage what cables I can, and go ahead and spend most of it on new cable / connectors, so that I can actually: run the entire length of the hall, and maybe invest in a multicore (which is going to be overly helpful!).

I know what problems there are, and I am trying my damned hardest to fix them, with meetings for this on a bi-daily occurance. And, no, I wouldn't be able to live with myself, but surely, as a student, who shouldn't really be playing with anything like this (for h&s reasons and such), it shouldn't be down to me to inform SMT when something is very wrong! Teachers rigged it up for an assembly today, for example, which was borderline on unsafe (well, actually, we had a cable trail past the fire exit, so...), so they should see the problems. If I see them, I report them, but, the point I am making, is that the kit shouldn't a) have got into this state, and b) it shouldn't be coming from a student.

OK, I'm confused now.

We started out with the hire budget for one production being cut from thousands down to £500. Now it seems the £500 pounds is at least partly for maintenance of existing kit.

Also, how big is this production? The original post talks about things like moving lights and makes it sound like a mega show. Yet in a later post you say your normal hire is 8 Pars and 2 Source 4s which added to your stock of 8 lights sounds fairly small rig.

OK.

Adam - Stop digging.

No - really - STOP digging.

I feel that with every post you've made in the last day or so you've dug yourself into an ever growing hole from which I think you'll now struggle to extricate yourself.

So STOP!

You REALLY need to pass this problem on to someone in authority, whether it be school technician, drama teacher or even the head.

Because if half the things you have described are as bad as they sound, then they MUST get sorted before ANYTHING else. Full stop!

That's before the school even consider staging another production, and possibly before anyone works in the area.

You need a qualified pro or very experienced local am-dram tech to come in and give a full and proper independant assessment of what's there, what needs attention and what MUST have attention to make the place a safe venue for production.

So take a deep breath, swallow your pride and seek proper advice - and unless there's someone here from your neck of the woods, don't rely on the BR for that advice - it sounds like it needs to be first hand.

I know what problems there are, and I am trying my damned hardest to fix them, with meetings for this on a bi-daily occurance. And, no, I wouldn't be able to live with myself, but surely, as a student, who shouldn't really be playing with anything like this (for h&s reasons and such), it shouldn't be down to me to inform SMT when something is very wrong! Teachers rigged it up for an assembly today, for example, which was borderline on unsafe (well, actually, we had a cable trail past the fire exit, so...), so they should see the problems. If I see them, I report them, but, the point I am making, is that the kit shouldn't a) have got into this state, and b) it shouldn't be coming from a student.

So with the Bi-daily meetings and all the other time you claim to be spending on this, how do you find time to do your schoolwork?

If you think you shouldn't be playing with anything like this then why are you? Personally I think students should be allowed and encouraged to get involved with technical theatre, providing they have the appropriate supervision, training and permission of course.

If the staff are incapable of using/rigging the basic kit you do have in a safe manner then what the hell did they do with all these movers etc you have hired in for previous productions?

To echo Ynot's comments, get a professional in to sort this mess out. If you can get professionals in to help with the show then you could have the opportunity to learn an enormous amount from them.

So, to end of the discussion nicely:

We have some pro's taking a look at it later this month (19th March if anyone's interested), with SMT, caretaker, bursar, need I carry on?

I am just allowed to, but school rules, as ever, are the block (no student should have any reason to ... fiddle with the fabric of the building, especially that of an ELECTRICAL nature).

Archived