Tech/Backstage Club workshop ideas

pisquee

I am now in a position of Head of Stage and Tech opperations, however this is only on a voluntered basis, and no pay given.

Nice job title...

Out of intrest how many school technicians get paid ?

I suspect all school technicians who are actually employed by the school (as opposed to being students with a good imagination) are paid.

Back on topic, I suppose the key is to find things which they will find interesting and stimulating - I doubt secondary school kids will find a lesson on coiling cables particularly fun, no matter how essential a skill it is. Of course you could sneak it in while they're actually having to coil cables...:P

Some people here have given some really good advice. It's an after school club - NOT compulsory education, and it has to be FUN. Some of the stuff suggested is simply crazy. Week two would see you with nobody there!

The girls are keen on things you don't want to teach them? Personally, with their likes prescribed in this way, I'd probably do some makeup sessions - maybe horrible scars, blood and prosthetics - always a good one for the girls. A few animal bones glued to the skin, a little latex and plenty of blood - then take pics.

If you really want to do lighting, then do something interesting. As for showing them the inside of racks, and coiling cables? Are we trying to punish them. I don't think anyone could ever think that these kind of things, important as they might be, will generate enthusiasm.

When you do teacher training, it's incredibly dull and boring - but the one thing it does is shows you exactly how people learn best. Trying to engage their enthusiasm needs skills. Most technicians who are good at this become teachers, because they're good at it. Those that would rather 'techniche' than teach should steer well away from trying to do it - because teaching to a group of disinterested people is the most soul destroying thing you can ever do, as bit by bit your own enthusiasm goes down the drain!

Had to create some name, afterall if I left my school then they would have no idea on how to tech, and pend thousands on unnesacerry training/equipment.

Have to agree with "because teaching to a group of disinterested people is the most soul destroying thing you can ever do"

My group gradually declined and now has a steady base and at times when essential basics are gettin boring, you know they want to do something, but when they do they love doing it and always want to do more then possible.

Well, the girls who were more into the make-up side of backstage seem to have dwindled away, so I have the girls with a more technician interest now.

Keeping things simple and fun seems to work - just showing them and letting them look through a swatch book of Lee filters got them really excited.

Things like coiling cables, and learning knots will come, but I would keep those kind of things short, and certainly not fill the whole hour on those kinda things.

As for schools actually paying for technicians, yes, lots seem to be - I've seen plenty of ads in The Stage for them, but obviously they aren't going to pay a proper wage to one of their pupils.

Head of Stage and Tech operations is a very grand title, but I doubt a school pupil would have the technical know-how or expertise to deserve such an accolade.

A good thing to do would be to give them some training in Mic placement, and techniques, especially if the attendees are the same drama students who will be acting in the productions and using microphones, if you train them right it will make your job a lot easier!

Ok mabye exaggurated my title slightly. But wih all the equpiment avaliable in the school. I am the only one who knows how to do everything. Any events using the stage or technical equipment get send directly through me, even from the Head of Drama. Effectivly half of my free's given (about 3hours a week for research for my 4 A-levels) are devoted to making all the stage equipment avaliable and in the right place, along with designing GCSe and A-level exam shows, music concerts, and awards evenings. But I understand the point about not paying a pupil a wage for something they see as dedication commitment and enjoyable

Anyway can't ramble for long, must get on designing the School stage and lighitng for grease. - Head of all technician and stage happenings.

Perhaps chipping in a little late, but in the after school more "fun" style of training I've often just started by showing them a few basic things on the desk and then letting them mess around for a bit to see what they come up with. After that, I'll try and steer it towards what they're interested in doing, i.e. provoking the "how do I do x y and z" style questions. I've no doubt it's not the most efficient and comprehensive training I could've given them but everyone seemed to have fun and those that actually wanted to learn something did :D

What about a session on health and saftey etc?

I know perhaps they may allready know some of it but it is still worth it.

Perhaps you could set something up, like a small set and some tech gear. And fill it with mistakes like things rigged incorectly etc. Then get them to go around and spot the dangers and write them on a sheet along with a solution and/or what you should do correctly. Then after have a discussion on it.

I remember I did something like this at college and to give you a few examples of the problems there were things ranging from lights without saftey chains to tools left out and from cables not taped down (trip hazzerd) to a light rigged with tape rather than a clamp (on a T-bar, not on the main grid)

EDIT - Fixed wording error

Archived