best way to connect speakers if not using subs

psy

which brings me to another question, my amp has ch1,ch2 output sockets below the inputs labelled link, so if I wanted to used 2 amps do I just link the second one to the first? by that I mean is the link just to send the signal on if you are using more than one amp or are there power issues that need to be considered? basically I was thinking the first amp powering the peavey rig and the second amp powering the 15's that I bought with that amp. in fact now I think about it if I had 2 amps there may be a better way to set it up using both to maximise the performance of the speakers I have. damn its confusing :P good job I applied yesterday for that wee course so I can learn the basics.

1 other thing all the stuff comes with the option of speakon or ¼" jack is there a benefit to changing all my leads to speakon from jack and using that?

If you have 2 amps then I would use 'em.

But you will need to a crossover unless your peaveys bass cabs have a passive xover built in?

Speakons are better as they cannot be pulled out so easily and provide a better connection.

Parallel on your amp does mean just that, you can come out of there into another amp, and therefore other speakers.

But bear in mind it will be fullrange.

which brings me to another question, my amp has ch1,ch2 output sockets below the inputs labelled link, so if I wanted to used 2 amps do I just link the second one to the first? by that I mean is the link just to send the signal on if you are using more than one amp or are there power issues that need to be considered? basically I was thinking the first amp powering the peavey rig and the second amp powering the 15's that I bought with that amp. in fact now I think about it if I had 2 amps there may be a better way to set it up using both to maximise the performance of the speakers I have. damn its confusing :P good job I applied yesterday for that wee course so I can learn the basics.

1 other thing all the stuff comes with the option of speakon or ¼" jack is there a benefit to changing all my leads to speakon from jack and using that?

If you have 2 amps then I would use 'em.

But you will need to a crossover unless your peaveys bass cabs have a passive xover built in?

Speakons are better as they cannot be pulled out so easily and provide a better connection.

Parallel on your amp does mean just that, you can come out of there into another amp, and therefore other speakers.

But bear in mind it will be fullrange.

cheers m8. yeah the subs have passsive xovers built in. as for the second amp being full range, it would only be feeding 2 x 15's with no subs as the first amp would be powering the 2 peavey 15's and peavey subs so I was thinking id be wanting full range on the other 2 x 15's (I think) :P

was just thinking, with that peavey package I listed and the warrior da-1000 amp. is the amp powerful enough for that speaker set up.

the reason I ask is because I notice they are selling another package with the same speakers but a pv2600 amp which is showing as 2x900 watts rms at 4ohm as opposed to the warriors 2x500 watts rms at 4ohms.

so surely looking at that one is not powerful enough or else the other is more powerful than required.

I have seen some people talk about getting an amp that has more power than the speaker rating but I thought would this not make it more likely you would kill your speaker drivers.

so I guess what im asking is this 1. is the warrior amp underpowering the speakers? and 2. should I be looking for an amp that is rated higher than the speakers and if so why?

cheers

The Warrior amp isn't really powerful enough for this setup. It might be more £££ but the peavey amp is a better amp, not just a more powerful one.

As for the 15's. Don't bother with them. It's too much gear to carry around, you won't need them aswell. You'll just run into problems with different boxes doing the same thing. Sell them or find a cheap driver and keep them as spares or a second rig.

Speakon is the way to go aswell if its an option. A decent jack plug isn't much less than a speakon connector,

The Warrior amp isn't really powerful enough for this setup. It might be more £££ but the peavey amp is a better amp, not just a more powerful one.

As for the 15's. Don't bother with them. It's too much gear to carry around, you won't need them aswell. You'll just run into problems with different boxes doing the same thing. Sell them or find a cheap driver and keep them as spares or a second rig.

Speakon is the way to go aswell if its an option. A decent jack plug isn't much less than a speakon connector,

ok rob cheers. so if the warrior isnt really powerful enough what sort of power do you think I should be looking for in an amp to run this setup? would it be something like the pv2600 I would need?

Ok if I have this right you have x2 peavey subs with built in crossovers, and x4 15" fullrange cabs?

As Rob say's lugging an extra pair of speakers really won't make much of a difference on overall sound quality OR spl.

I can see where you are coming from, but I have tried it and it makes hardly enough difference to notice.

Currently I am running x2 118xt's from a pv2600, (using the built in crossover in the amp) and x2 impulse tops from a dynacord powered desk,

150hz upwards using the HF from the amp into the amp inserts on the desk.

I did try at one time putting a pair of hisys 2's on at full range sat in the middle, powered by a studiomaster 2500.

But as I say, there was not a notable difference, only on my back!

The general rule of thumb is to have an amp twice as powerful 'watts wise' as the boxes.

This is because you get the full capabilities of your box, and don't clip your amp/amps.

I would set up your system with just the pv2600.

It will run your subs and tops just fine.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

right this is the set up I was looking at. I havent bought it as im still looking and what I end up getting will depend on what happens with the speakers I left into maplin.

1 x w audio warrior da-1000 amp

Technical Specifications:

Output Per Channel

Power Output (4 Ohms) 500W

Power Output (8 Ohms) 300W

Power Output (8 Ohms Bridged) 1000W

Frequency Response 10Hz - 25kHz

Signal to Noise Ratio 100dB

Slew Rate 50v/us

Damping Factor >300

THD @ Rated Power - 0.06% over rated bandwidth - 1kHz typically 0.03% - all models

Mains Input Voltage 240 V

Dimensions (mm) 483 x 88 x 420mm - 2U

Weight (kg) 15.0

2x peavey messenger pro subs

• 250 Watts RMS continuous, 500 Watts program, 1000 Watts peak
  • 4 Ohms
  • 15" (381mm) woofer
  • Frequency response: 45 Hz - 300 Hz
  • Efficiency: 98dB
  • Two ¼'' (6.35mm) jack and two Neutrik® Speakon® sockets
  • High pass output for mid/high frequency satellite
  • Resilient carpet covered
  • Silver steel grille
  • Satellite pole mounting
  • Teardrop handles
  • Made in the UK
  • Dimensions: 19.9'' (505mm)H x 26'' (660mm)W x 19.1'' (485mm)D
  • Weight: 58.4lbs (26.5kg)

2x peavey messenger pro 15

300 watts RMS continuous 600 watts program 1200 watts peak

4ohms

15" woofer

1.75" (44mm) throat compression driver

dispersion 90° x 40°

freq response 50hz - 18hz

efficiency:98db

the only thing that even had me looking at this was that my local music shop was selling this package for £1010 (peavey amp instead of w-audio though) and I see it at whybuynew.co.uk for £550 so I was unsure whether it was a great deal from why buy new or whether my local music shop was charging extortionate prices (probably the latter) :P

having studied the documentation for each of the individual items I had a few questions I was unsure of, one was answerd by rob which was if I was connecting a 4 ohm sub and a 4 ohm top to each channel would that not be presenting the amp with a 2ohm load but obviously its something to do with the way peavey designed the crossovers in them or something. my other questions were

1. if I connect a sub and a top into each channel should the slider on the amp be set to stereo or parallel to get the best from them (obviously not bridge, I thought parallel but was unsure)

2. I notice the amp has a input sensitivity selector and the choices are 1.44v, 1.0v and 0.775v. ive never seen this on any of the amps I have owned, how do I know what that needs to be set at?

3. if I dont get any money back off my stuff in maplin is this worth considering or is it no better than what I had?

sorry to keep asking what you may deem to be daft questions but its the only way I'll learn and I do appreciate the advice

**edit** I was looking online and noticed this part time course in my town its nothing too advanced but it may be helpful to me**edit**

http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Setti...81485/page.htm#

Sorry, after reading this post I am now a bit more aware of your kit!

Where does the 2nd pair of speakers come from?

As said just run your peaveys boxes (that's if you buy them!) off the 2600, I wouldn't bother with the 'prosound' if thats what they are?

**Sorry, after reading this post I am now a bit more aware of your kit!

Where does the 2nd pair of speakers come from?

As said just run your peaveys boxes (that's if you buy them!) off the 2600, I wouldn't bother with the 'prosound' if thats what they are?

cheers

yes the second set was the prosounds if I dont get refunded for them but ive been to my local citizens advice today and they are a lot more confident than me that I will get a refund.

I had actually gone ahead and ordered the peaveys with the warrior amp but if the 2600 is better its no prob I will buy it and sell the warrior on again. just one thing im wondering though.

assuming I get an amp thats roughly twice the speakers as you suggested how do I know how much to give it without blowing the speakers? is it just a guess, say for example turn the amp up halfway?

assuming I get an amp thats roughly twice the speakers as you suggested how do I know how much to give it without blowing the speakers? is it just a guess, say for example turn the amp up halfway?

I suggested the pv2600 over the warrior amp because there is more power output, also Rob prefers it to the da-1000!

I know by use that it will run both sets, I have no experience of the warrior though.

Also Peavey say that the pv2600 will run lower that 4 R which is always better to run an amp cooler.

I set the limits by ear, there is no specific set levels on the amp, it's alot more complicated that that.

If you set the level then playback a cd or whatever and your speakers are distorting and making horrible noises, then you are

overloading them. (or your amp/amps are clipping, but this should be visual)

I have never blown a driver and have always done it by ear.

Boosting low frequencies can distort your bass cabs even at low levels, and you need to ensure the gain structure is set correctly.

What's mixer are you going to be using?

I suggested the pv2600 over the warrior amp because there is more power output, also Rob prefers it to the da-1000!

I know by use that it will run both sets, I have no experience of the warrior though.

Also Peavey say that the pv2600 will run lower that 4 R which is always better to run an amp cooler.

I set the limits by ear, there is no specific set levels on the amp, it's alot more complicated that that.

If you set the level then playback a cd or whatever and your speakers are distorting and making horrible noises, then you are

overloading them. (or your amp/amps are clipping, but this should be visual)

I have never blown a driver and have always done it by ear.

Boosting low frequencies can distort your bass cabs even at low levels, and you need to ensure the gain structure is set correctly.

What's mixer are you going to be using?

I will be using a pioneer djm600. I was actually wondering I notice it has XLR outputs as well as phono and my current amp has XLR inputs, are these better than the phono?

the reason I asked about the speaker levels was because I was checking the last ones and they were not audibly distorting yet one blew out anyway although its probably down to the speakers being of poor quality as much as anything else although now that you mention low end I was using the mixer eq's to add more low end (or actually take away the highs and mids as opposed to adding) as I only had a pair of 15's and the sound was quite thin for the music I was playing maybe thats part of what went wrong.

the pioneer doesnt have a master eq and I was wondering would it be a good idea to get a seperate rack mount type eq unit.

thanks for all your advice im sure it is tiresome helping out clueless people all the time so the sooner I start my new "setting up a pa system" course ive applied for the better then I can bend their ear with all my silly questions I just want to make sure in the mean time I get the best from my equipment and dont destroy more gear :blink:

I will be using a pioneer djm600. I was actually wondering I notice it has XLR outputs as well as phono and my current amp has XLR inputs, are these better than the phono?

Yes.

Balanced signal = less noise picked up in cable & much longer runs are possible.

XLRs are much stronger than even good phono plugs

Yes.

Balanced signal = less noise picked up in cable & much longer runs are possible.

XLRs are much stronger than even good phono plugs

cheers gonna get some XLR fittings today and knock up a cable.

Archived