WYSIWYG

Alexb_01

Hi,

I’ve been very fortunate to have gotten involved with designing and operating the some of the lighting for a festival at the Roundhouse, London (See http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/turningpoint/ for more details).

When I do come to do designs I will be using WYSIWYG so am learning how to utilise it at the moment. I was wondering if it’s possible someone could show me a render of a show in WYSIWYG and then how it compared with the actual show. The reason I ask this is because I’m not too sure how well my renders will relate to the actual show.

I’ve only just started playing around making some designs but feel free to have a look at the ones I’ve done and comment. I will probably be adding more as I do more but for the moment, see http://www.error21.com/wysiwyg. Before you say I am fully aware of the light coming out of the crotch and the guys face being in total darkness on the pink and blue designs :unsure:.

One final thing if anyone knows of the ‘best’ settings for renders please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex

PS. I just notice that the mic stand is hovering in mid air! ** laughs out loud **

My Photos here might help you, I don't have any overlaps. But I can sort some out if you don't get any more.

But the few times I have used WYG in anger for a show has not been the same as built, and lit, this is due to changes in the build, things needed and the real situations just being different.

Also, on a slight separate note. Be prepared with a busking page, for incoming LD's.

I know at least one of the bands mentioned on the website will bring an LD (because I know their LD). Its a good idea to allow a page of the desk so LD's can come in and do what they need to do...

Its a good idea to allow instant access to all colours, gobos, prisms, positions, movements, intensity chases, shutter chases etc all separately either on Pallets or Stacks (depending what desk your using), so its readily available and easy to use for incoming LD's.

Trust your renders - I've lit many shows in the office and transferred to the venue with great success.

You will find you need to change colour tones slightly as what you see on screen will vary a little from what your eye sees when you get there - You will also find - if using movers you will need to tidge positions slightly as no matter how accurate you do your design angles will change as trim heights will.

Paul

Trust your renders - I've lit many shows in the office and transferred to the venue with great success.

Without wishing to big- up the organ grinder, I will say that I've rigged/Chiefed a number of shows for PJN which he's WYG'd beforehand and they've all turned out pretty close to how they looked in the render. It's amazing what he can do with a Vista, WYSIWYG, a CD and 200 cigarettes.

We never seem to get to the pub earlier though.....

KC

Without wishing to big- up the organ grinder, I will say that I've rigged/Chiefed a number of shows for PJN which he's WYG'd beforehand and they've all turned out pretty close to how they looked in the render. It's amazing what he can do with a Vista, WYSIWYG, a CD and 200 cigarettes.

We never seem to get to the pub earlier though.....

KC

180 cigerettes these days - well, you did tell me to cut down !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived