Why is the MAC550 Discontinued?

tomy364

What I would really like to see from Martin though is for them to offer the same functionality as a 2k in the 500 region. I think you could end up with a real workhorse of a theatre (and event/concert) light that way - the ability to colour mix and shutter cut from a 575 would be fantastic.

But then you have to think about price, noise, weight... Have you been inside a 2K performace II. You can get a rizzla paper in there. So making the package smaller would be a challenge, if it could be then I am sure Martin would have considered it.

Think about added price, weight, noise output. Would it be really worth it...? Also, have you opened up a 2K performace II? You cant cram anymore into it! So I think making the package smaller would very difficult.

The 575 may not have the animation wheel, but even an animation wheel in the 550, 700 and certain MAC 2Ks are not used much at all.

What I would really like to see from Martin though is for them to offer the same functionality as a 2k in the 500 region. I think you could end up with a real workhorse of a theatre (and event/concert) light that way - the ability to colour mix and shutter cut from a 575 would be fantastic.

It would be like having a VL 1k that didn't break all the time!

But then you have to think about price, noise, weight... Have you been inside a 2K performace II. You can get a rizzla paper in there. So making the package smaller would be a challenge, if it could be then I am sure Martin would have considered it.

Think about added price, weight, noise output. Would it be really worth it...? Also, have you opened up a 2K performace II? You cant cram anymore into it! So I think making the package smaller would very difficult.

I have frequently been in side a 2k - I have two sitting on the bench beside me that are waiting for spare parts to fix. I would not mind if the "Mac400" (Since it has a 400W HTI in my mind) was larger and heavier... My main issue with 2k's is they are SOOOOO much brighter than everything else in my rig - which is why I can really only use them FOH. If want to use them as side lights, I would need to be using them at half or quarter intensity, and that really does compromise the beam due to the mechanical dimming.

Archived