What do you do to pass the time

benash

My habits vary depending on the show and my role within it. Recently I was board opping for a youth players "Annie" which wasn't the most fascinating show to follow in the world, in that case I had a book with me and games on an ipod touch. Though, it goes without saying that one should be paying attention to the stage and to the cues.

However this doesn't always mean staring at the stage for 2-3 hours a night. Most recently I was on a sound desk mixing radio mics for a production of "The Wiz" (boy, don't I get the best musicals to work on?) For that show there wasn't much time to do anything constructive between cues (mics were only used for the songs and I had nothing to do with the band) so I watched the show, and observed as radio mics fell off sweaty actors (regardless how much tape was used), I then pondered whether a large amount of gaffa or Araldite would have done a better job.

It was only for three nights though, had it been a longer run I probably would have found something else to do.

If I've got the resources/time/light etc, it's nice to look over the schedule for the next few weeks, check that the invoices are drawn up and maybe read a script for a show I might be designing in the future.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another vote for watch the performance and make sure things are OK. Although when on cans there is sometimes some banter engaged in with others who are bored, usually involving constructive :D criticism of the show and performers.

I've done this many times. Once we had a conversation about cheese :oops:

Normally critisise or joke about the actors either to fellow technicians around or hte SM. Often enjoyed by everyone and makes the show go alot faster. Personally trying to read a book and follow the play for cues is too much for me :L

Recently did a very boring Opera.

Tabs out at start, and in at the end *Yawn*.

Cans on one ear, headphones in other, watch DVD's off laptop.

Even starting to make a list of recommended viewing for that flyfloor :** laughs out loud **:

C.

Always be careful on cans though, especially if there are sets around that can be picked up by actors, or in the case of kids shows, parents...I know people that have got into a LOT of trouble that way. In fact, if you can't be certain who might be listening in (I've known directors put on cans in the past too...) keep it squeaky clean and professional at all times.

Not quite sure if this applies to during a show , but yesterday racing mini cars around the stage whilst constructing ramps out of backing plates

Hope that wasn't during a show!

Only thing I've resorted to doing is drawing smiley faces on LX tape. How unoriginal I know... Anything else distracts me too much!

Getting? I was depressed when I saw the title.

To be fair, I do sound pretty much exclusively--and very rarely do events that don't have live microphones. When there are mics open, there's no such thing as "spare time". Even on the most boring corporate event, the CEO who's paying your fee will almost certainly choose the moment your attention wanders to dive in front of the FOH speaker stack. If you're doing sound involving mics and amplification, you pay attention--no matter how boring the content.

I can see how it might be a bit different for lighting if you're doing a "fade up at the beginning, blackout at the end" show. However, even there I'd be wary of anything that diverts the attention to much. The turn who's done it perfectly for 20 shows can suddenly stand on a dark part of the stage in show 21. If you're alert, you can sneak in a bit of extra light to show the face.

Or, if it really is a show with nothing going on, you can do what I did when (as a favour) I did a straight play with just some sound effects early in Act 1, then nothing until well into Act 2. I made it my job to head to the Green Room at the right time and have tea and coffee ready for the cast and crew in the interval. It kept me out of mischief, made me a lot of friends...and got me a much bigger gig when some of the same production people did a musical the next year. Sometimes even just putting the kettle on is "professionalism".

Bob

Equally when you're onstage LX, and your task is to assist scene changes and put a few special booms in place professionalism is staying out of the way, with an ear open to the comms in case something needs fixing.

I totally agree though Bobbsy, if you can see the stage and are in a position to note things going wrong or to adjust for mistakes then watch it. If however its the 5th week of the run and your job is to assist scene changes and do some other bits on cue from DSM then sitting out of the way with a book does nothing against professionalism.

I just play frooger on my fatfrog!

fatfrog is a great way to pass an odd 10 minutes when you're waiting for something to do, however I'ld never play it when a show was running - even if it was a simple up and down affair. It just increases the risk of something going wrong and thats never a good thing

steve

I am a Stage Manger, but I have seen my Operators pull some interesting stuff.

- Crayons and colouring books

- Texting each other (sitting 4 feet apart with me in the middle)

- Trying to make the actors laugh (I had to put a stop to that one)

- Drinking (also had to be stopped) and;

- I even had an Op that would leave the booth for 25 minutes between his sound cues (in his defence, he could always hear program sound).

Archived