Facelight... hit me with your favourite gels!

scottmcleod

We run a regular comedy club, and I'm looking at overhauling how we light the stage currently. Currently its a 40' stage, with 24 Par 64s with CP61 (I think) in. In previous times, it was lit with a warm amber wash, I decided to go with an open, ungelled wash, and have now decided I don't like it - its fairly warm (being par cans), but I think I need to do some experimenting.

Having said that, I would like to just get rid of the majority of the front wash, and go back to a followspot, but sadly thats not a popular opinion (takes up space for seats!).

Anyway, that was a bit of a random ramble, but just to say, this is intruiging me and will be following with interest. Anyone got any tips for a comedy club?

• 2 months later...

Thank you folks of the Blue Room. :up:

I searched this forum for inspiration as I wanted to create a "battlefield" look for an anthology on the theme of war versus peace that our youth group has put together and some of suggestions in this thread took hold in my brain.

After a few short experiments I chose to create a full stage wash in L170 Deep Lavender, slight back lighting in L164 Flame Red and 8 PAR 64s at ankle height with no colour straight across the stage. Add our tiny hazer into the mix and the effect was astounding.

I have just returned from Brussels where we put on this production at a European Am-Dram festival. Everyone praised our production and the adjudicator made specific reference to the "exceptional lighting that was dramatic yet sympathetic to the piece".

Although we didn't come away with any trophies, we were nominated for best stage presentation.

I owe you all a huge thank you and I can assure you that I will be stealing more of your ideas in future. :D

Many thanks - AntMcC

Archived