Robe Finally Releases A Fixture Based around the Plasma Lamp

3guk

I care because I find that something like what happened at the Olympics is totally unacceptable when alternatives are out there that don't do that.

Going wildly off topic here...

I think its unfair to blame the OS for this when there was no evidence that it was at fault - this could just as easily have been caused by dodgy motherboard or video card, which would have brought down Linux in much the same way.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer a few of questiones:

The spesificationes for the Robin 300 spot/wash and the Robin 3 Plasma has been available in the "News" brochure on Robe's website since late march. http://www.robe.cz/download.aspx?file=705b...bf-9e5cbc4a44ba

Both the 300 Spot and the plasma weigh in at 20 kilo, and the 300 Wash weigh in at 19 kilo.

Only the 300's have the remote operated reflector, the plasma does'nt. It has been comented that this is another feature that can break, but seriousley, so is a second gobowheel...

The Plasma Spot will be slightley more expensive then the 300 spot, and the 300 Wash will be slightley less expensive.

If all goes as planed we should see the 300's start shipping arond mid May, and the Plasma around mid June.

The link to that news pdf was linked in this thread already, late March.... :P

I commented about remote hotspot being a potential for failure because it would be in an especially vulnerable area and it is a function you traditionally would only do on re-lamping and therefore not need desk control. But the concept of automatic adjustment for iris position etc. puts a different complexion on this. It will still be very hot there though!

Hmm, how were you able to find that? Is it available for pre-order?
Why.. you wanting to buy some for your school? :P

I suspect if your at least friendly with a Robe dealer you could get a list price from them.. Not exactly a secret. What price they'll give you however.. sort of is! So don't expect people to give you 'proper' prices on here.

T

The link to that news pdf was linked in this thread already, late March.... :P

Ops, missed that one :P

I commented about remote hotspot being a potential for failure because it would be in an especially vulnerable area and it is a function you traditionally would only do on re-lamping and therefore not need desk control. But the concept of automatic adjustment for iris position etc. puts a different complexion on this. It will still be very hot there though!

I don't really se it as more vulnerable then putting the steppermotors for dimmer/shutter direcktley next to the reflector/lamp on the 700's.

The function is basicaly to be able to move the reflector to be able to hotspot it, or even it out, and ofcourse as has been mentioned, it will also help smoothing out the dimmingcurve. You will still have to allign the lamp when you re-lamp the fixture. It's not a substitute for that.

I don't really se it as more vulnerable then putting the steppermotors for dimmer/shutter direcktley next to the reflector/lamp on the 700's.

The function is basicaly to be able to move the reflector to be able to hotspot it, or even it out, and ofcourse as has been mentioned, it will also help smoothing out the dimmingcurve. You will still have to allign the lamp when you re-lamp the fixture. It's not a substitute for that.

For sure, no different. That's exactly what I compare it to, rather than gobo! Just tricky when it comes to fixing these things and the connectors magically turn to dust etc. But irrelevant now we understand the purpose I think. It would certainly be very interesting to see the end result.

Just tricky when it comes to fixing these things and the connectors magically turn to dust etc. But irrelevant now we understand the purpose I think. It would certainly be very interesting to see the end result.

If it's any consolation, I just had all my 700's open for maintanance, and none of the connectors showed any sign of degredation even if the fixtures has been running for close to 1500 hours. (Thats lamp hours, not power-on hours)

The software for them arent readdy yet, but we were ofcourse able to "simulate" what the software will automate for us, in it really is a nice feature.

'tokm' wrote: Is that an 'oh cr@p someone's beaten us to it, lets come up with an excuse'? ;)

Smaller companies often has the advantage of being able to move fast, larger companies (like us) have the advantages of more R&D resources and can often do a more thorough job. The plasma technology is still in its early days and very much a moving target (like LED). Our customers do want products that not only work but keep on working for years and years. That takes a bit more R&D and testing to assure.

Mats Karlsson

Technology Manager

Martin Professional A/S

Smaller companies often has the advantage of being able to move fast, larger companies (like us) have the advantages of more R&D resources ...

Hate to be the one to point this out but larger R&D resources means you can move quickly to say you have a larger R&D resource so it takes you longer is just rubbish.

Also I wouldn't assume that the Robe stuff wont last just as long as anything else on the market to say you have to do more R&D to do it when you have to assume really that Robe have done this just makes it sound more like you are trying to play catch up. There is nothing wrong with seeing a good idea and using it, that's the way we all move forward.

Just my 2p

Ben

Sound's like sour grapes to me....

I agree with Ben

"Smaller companies often has the advantage of being able to move fast, larger companies (like us) have the advantages of more R&D resources and can often do a more thorough job. The plasma technology is still in its early days and very much a moving target (like LED). Our customers do want products that not only work but keep on working for years and years. That takes a bit more R&D and testing to assure.

Mats Karlsson

Technology Manager

Martin Professional A/S "

More like Martin have many more bureaucratic big corporate hoops to jump though and meeting's about having meetings about getting the job done.

I wonder what Martin's Press Office would say about Mats Karlsson's post and whether that was an authorised comment about Robe's product (considering it must be past 23.00 in Sweden). ;)

Maybe the thought's of someone who didn't see a opportunity or develop it first?

Jimbo

Smaller companies often has the advantage of being able to move fast, larger companies (like us) have the advantages of more R&D resources and can often do a more thorough job. The plasma technology is still in its early days and very much a moving target (like LED). Our customers do want products that not only work but keep on working for years and years. That takes a bit more R&D and testing to assure.

Are you calling Robe a small company? Granted they are not as big as Martin, (yet.. B-) )but I still do belive they are the 3rd biggest moving light manufacturer in the world...

And I remember you raving about the build quality and performance of the Robe's when you were still at Bellalite, so maybe a slight modification to that last coment is in place? ;)

Trust me when I say that Robe has taken their time developing this fixture. It has not been rushed to the market! They had the optics in place at Plasa last year, and are now finishing of the software before they start shipping. And when it ships it will be ready! I wish all manufacturers could say the same! B-)

Disclaimer: Yes I am a Robe distributor! :stagecrew:

Archived