Can I buy Old Bulb Anglepoise?

sarasara

Currently still enjoy light from a rather scratched 1950's anglepoise... with ES (travelled to USA and back) bulb holder. While I hate the CFLs for mercury poisoning the environment (and risking my desk!) - I am experimentally using one: the weight does "down" the arm, but the heat which used to burn the holders is gone. I think solutions could be to tighten the screws (just done so - this model had a hand tightenable nut) or add a clutch disc, perhaps new units will have stronger springs. A nuisance problem is that the tubes poke out and flood the desk (and PC screen). I have a Philips 8w Genie which gives a good colour rendition. Another model still serves for bed reading but with a halogen inside a convetional bulb bought from the UK (bayonet), ok but gets v. warm! Sorry won't sell them !!

Hi,

Fair point about the size. You might be right. It was really just the first thing that popped up at that was cheap.

But you usually gets what you pays for. Since this is such an important tool for you I'd be inclined to go with the genuine article. It's worked for you before and, given how long it lasted, is probably worth it. That one from 10 out of 10 looks competitive, even with the clamp.

In the unlikely event that you can no longer get standard 60W lamps then you can explore the halogen alternative.

Hi Niclights,

Actually you were right on the money on that one. I phoned and spoke to a conciencious member of staff who checked out my questions and then phoned me back to tell me that the lamp is normal size but the price is purely down to mass ordering (It is a discount warehouse). It fits the old 60w as well so my only problem is waiting for it to come back into stock, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I've since seen the same lamp advertised at a much higher price elsewhere.

Thanks.

Swampman, glad your 50's Anglepoise is still standing. Sadly in studio they get yanked around so many times they can't last but on an office or home desk it's a different story. Thanks Jimbo7744 as well.

sara.

Archived