Skin Mic Attachment Methods

helgrind

I like the sond of the spray on plaster. Thanks guys!

I tried holding the mic on the forehead and then spraying the whole lot with spray plaster once. Didn't work so well.

I think the spray was meant to be used as a foundation, to prepare the skin and make it more likely that the tape will stick better even with some on who perspires.

NOT to be used soley to fix a mic to the face! you could end up damaging the capsule.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[NOT to be used soley to fix a mic to the face! you could end up damaging the capsule.

:D

If you look at Gareth's profile I think it may be safe to assume he knows that!

Bob

[NOT to be used soley to fix a mic to the face! you could end up damaging the capsule.

:D

If you look at Gareth's profile I think it may be safe to assume he knows that!

Bob

** laughs out loud ** nice Job Gareth

so why then where u trying to stick a mic to a forehead with sprayplaster?

I take it you HAVE the mics, as in you (or your place of education) OWN them. If you're hiring, why not hire some discreet over ear headsets instead, if you're hiring a complete radio mic system or multiples thereof, it shouldn't cost a deal more, if anything.

• 2 weeks later...
I take it you HAVE the mics, as in you (or your place of education) OWN them. If you're hiring, why not hire some discreet over ear headsets instead, if you're hiring a complete radio mic system or multiples thereof, it shouldn't cost a deal more, if anything.

We hire as many over ear ones as possible however the company don't have enough. We only use the loose wire ones on the less important cast members but it's a pain when they start falling off - especially for the actors who can't concentrate completely on the acting/singing (not professionals!)

Who knows, maybe this year they'll have more. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the advice though!

• 3 weeks later...

As a matter of interest does anybody have any pics of their tape / over ear wire setups. I have a client coming in for a one day event , a sketch show with 8 performers. I have advised him to hire in headset mics , but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up with lavalieres.

I usually do bands or cabaret or dj events so could do with some tips.

Also , am I right in thinking I am unlikely to find an easy hire supply for a one day event of a flesh tone over ear wire system in the London area , it seems most of you guys make up your own systems with capsules from CPC and similar and use them with branded belt packs.

As the price of reasonable quality headsets has fallen to less than £50 inc VAT then it makes no sense at all to start gumming ordinary lavs onto peoples faces anymore, as in most cases, removing them damages them if the gummer has been a bit over enthusiastic. Sending them back with glue on them, or with damaged outer cable means extra costs when the hire company invoice you for replacements. With this in mind, if they cannot supply extras it's a bit poor really. You could always buy a few headsets and keep them?

Whilst the cpc headsets have been mentioned, one application that may have slipped people's attention.......

The single earhook headsets they do basically consist of a boom with a wrap of wire around the ear and then the cable termination. It's very easy to uncoil the ear loop and straighten the thing out, giving you an 8 - 10 inch length of wire that can be bent to shape, with a mic capsule on the end. I've found this extremely useful for making shorter booms (2 wraps round the ear and a bit of tape) and even hairline mics (bend the wire to the contour of the head and secure with hair clips). In the latter example, I'd go for a normal lav in the hairline over this, it's a bit fiddly but got me out of a hole when I had a hairline lav die.

Rather than treating them as an earhook, if you look at it as a length of bendable wire with a mic attached, they have all sorts of useful applications.

Perhaps not a high end product, but I've seen their double ear brothers and sisters being used on some reasonably big local shows.

And for me, attachment method depends entirely on if there is a decent makeup artist available. Most times the answer is no so it has to be a flesh coloured tape. If there is someone good available, zinc oxide tape works nicely.

Archived