how much?

GeeGee

well I was thinking of 20k as a starter but diddnt know if that is to much or little,

it wont cost me that much to live there as im still with pearents (hopefuly will be able to move out with this job though), then I can find a place to live that works with the cash/beer flow

G

I don't wish to be rude, but if your spelling and grammer are as bad on your application form as in the post above, you probably won't even get an interview.

..and yet that's quite a rude way of saying it all the same. So did you wish to be rude or not?

Well I won't go into details, but I'm having my own struggle with this. I recently graduated high school where I was making more than most, if not all, of my friends, to college where I am making less than I did in high school, and am on the low end of the pay scale. Turns out college on campus jobs don't pay squat even if they do have fairly high qualifications... fortunately there are about a half dozen production companies within 2 miles of campus, so once I have done the campus jobs long enough to put them on a resume, I can apply there (and from what I've heard the starting there is 2.5x what I'm getting now...).

This one's only between myself, but here I definitely think I'm worth more than they are paying me... technical work should pay more than minimum wage afterall...

Why exactly do you think you are "worth more than they are paying" you?

I'm not trying to stir, but am genuinely curious. You yourself admit that you're just out of high school, surely the way the world works is that you start off on the lower paid jobs (minimum wage) and then as you gain the experience and the skills needed then you will progress "up the ladder" as it were and get better paying jobs?

Or do you disagree and think you should start off on a supervisors/team leader/whatever wage?

Edit to add: What would you consider "long enough to put on a resume"?

My first job out of school lasted 18 months, the one after that lasted almost 2 and a half years, the next was 6 months but only because I got made redundant, and I've been in my current job for 8 months now- and have no intention of leaving any time soon. (and I'm 23)

In my opinion there are far too many young people who run from job to job every 3 to 6 months. If you're going to put a job on your resume, for it to look any good to a potential employer (or indeed, to give an indication that you're not going to just give up when you get sick of the job 3 months down the track) then you need to be there at least a year...

From the way you write your post, I wonder if you would be happy to be "stuck" in a low paying college job for a year or more...

The reason I say I'm "worth more" is this is actually a large PAY CUT from what I was getting. And they were very pleased with my work at my old job. Main reason I probably won't stay at one of these is I'm getting the impression I won't learn much there. Right now I'm not in this for the money. I've volunteered on many shows because it's been a situation where I can get experience with good techs, learn new gear, ect. I just don't feel that this is the level that I'm at, and it's looking to be a dead-end position.

What were you doing while at High School that paid that well? Maybe this job was one of the cases where it's acclimatised you to the higher pay, so lower pay (but typical pay) seems bad.

Here in the UK we have a National Minimum Wage, and anyone over 18 has to get it. Sadly, many employers now see this as a set standard pay level, and don't appreciate that different jobs at different levels deserve different pay. In UK theatre, it's quite common for different jobs to get radically different pay, just because of the department you're in. Musicians who walk in, play, then leave might get more than somebody doing technical who does a 8-10 hour day. The sound op could be getting double the pay of the person who's in charge of him - simply because his pay comes from the kit hire company, rather than the production company. I've occasionally had to get a dep in, who I have to pay more than I get - making a loss. It's just how it works.

TheLightsTech - you say you're not in it for the money? So stop making the link with it. If the job is good, and you benefit from the experience, does it matter if it pays less - as long as you can afford it? One thing I have learned is that quality of job is worth more than salary. Accepting 'promotion' to a rotten job is never ever worth it.

As long as you have enough for your needs.

Do a google for "hierarchy of needs" - sums it all up quite well.

Archived