The Wholigans

stagemanagement

Why? It tells you what the band consists of. Presumably if they don't supply a channel list and preferred mics etc, then you're free to supply the kit you feel is acceptable for the gig. Presumably they don't have an engineer who will turn up on the day and moan about whatever you've provided. If they do, well then they should have sent a better rider!

The whole point of a technical rider is to eliminate those "presumablies" of yours. Where ever there's room for "interpretation" there's also room for things to go wrong.

If there are things they're happy to leave to the discretion of the house engineer, that's great, but they need to say so. However, at very least they need to answer the various questions raised in here such as whether or not they bring their own engineer, exactly what gear they bring, how they handle the "smashing" bit and so on.

(As an aside, local news down here in sunny Queensland ran a story yesterday about the start of an "anti tribute band" campaign. According to organisers, a huge percentage of bookings are going to tribute bands, to the level where it is killing the "new band" live music industry. Personally, I dunno--I have some sympathy with the campaign but also tend to enjoy a lot of the tribute acts. I'd love to see the Wholigans for example....just don't want to do sound for them unless they fix up the rider!)

Bob

To be honest, if they're setting up (and switching on!) 3-4 Hi-Watt cab's for guitar, a couple of 4x8 bass cabs and a full-size kit on my stage, then the only thing that I'd be routing to the master buss would be the kick, snare and vox - and that would still draw complaints about being too loud from some of our punters!!

About 60 feet from apron to back wall and practically no natural reverberations in the room - never mind 11, they'll be lucky to get up to 5 on the volume dial before the EHO's are wetting themselves!!

An input list, with required sources, processing, example qualities and specifications of mics and DIs would be a lot of use.

Why? It tells you what the band consists of. Presumably if they don't supply a channel list and preferred mics etc, then you're free to supply the kit you feel is acceptable for the gig. Presumably they don't have an engineer who will turn up on the day and moan about whatever you've provided. If they do, well then they should have sent a better rider!

As above, not really that much help - assumption is the mother of all..

An input list, with required sources, processing, example qualities and specifications of mics and DIs would be a lot of use.

As above, not really that much help - assumption is the mother of all..

Well, whatever. I wouldn't be surprised or outraged to recieve a rider like that. We get ones like that all the time. More detailed riders are almost always wrong anyway.

Most detailed riders are regularly wrong. Nearly always have wrong info, out of date info, say they NEED this but actually would be fine with something else etc.

The best I had was a band that specced 24 desk channels, then needed 32 when they arrived as the promoter had sent out the acoustic rider, and had therefore lost the electric guitar mics, half the percussion rig and the record player DIs.

Or the band that asked for a 48 channel desk (to be reserved for their dedicated use), then turned up with a djembe, 2 acoustic guitars and 3 vocal mics...

I would argue that an out of date rider is almost as bad as no rider at all!

When I’m putting together riders for bands I work for I Start out with the channel listing to which I add details of the dynamics I would like on each channel and preferred mic choice. Further down I say that if the dynamic channels I have asked for are not available then I list the priority I would like the dynamics to be applied to.

I also add a few lines to say that it would be nice if the channel list would stay in that order but I don’t mind channels being moved around to suit other acts.

My overall feel to each rider is, “This is what I need and this is how I would like it” by separating the things I need from the things I could work around (is anyone REALLY going to cancel a show because the lead vocal is on channel 9 and not 14?) it helps to get what I need.

Archived