Charity Event Stage???

TheLightsTech

Unless there are crew who are sympathetic to the cause of the charity and volunteer to work the gig at a reduced rate.

Yes fair enough, but it should be their call not the company saying your on a reduced rate cos we're doing a charity gig.

I attempted once to get everyone to do something for 'free' because it was a good cause, and everybody said yes apart from the band, who being MU members said no, and wanted their proper agreed union rate, as is their right. They got it, and then they all donated it to charity, which as they pointed out, was their choice. Work, they explained - is work and should never be a freebie.

I much prefer the being paid, then donate system.

It leaves the choice with the individual, and I think it squares things up better in the accounts book (ie I still see an income for that gig, but I also see a donation to charity, rather than having a gig that ought to go in the book but has an income of 0).

If done properly the taxman doesn't get any of it and the charity gets back what they paid out minus expenses.

Archived