Joining unions

Unfathomable

what about ABTT several techs I worked with a few years back and they got public liability cover with them to (or did)

That's nonsense, I'm afraid. The ABTT are nothing like a union, and you won't get any sort of insurance cover (or anything else, really, other than perhaps some discounted rates on technical training) from, or through, them.

When you do freelance work, do you do it on a self-employed basis, or are you taxed at source?

Self employed basis, The benefits of bectu for me looks to be price for PLI, equipment and professional insurance which I need to get for work in local community halls etc.

what about ABTT several techs I worked with a few years back and they got public liability cover with them to (or did)

That's nonsense, I'm afraid. The ABTT are nothing like a union, and you won't get any sort of insurance cover (or anything else, really, other than perhaps some discounted rates on technical training) from, or through, them.

Ah Glad I never joined them then. not seen any of those techs for a while so I didnt know.

Thanks I learned something to.

Lxtechman

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

The ABTT is an Association, not a Union. And I'm not aware of them ever offering any insurance services

If I see any of those techs again I shall ask they all raved on about it so I assumed it was especially the way they explained it. that will teach me to actually research things.

TTFN

Lxtechman

Guest lightnix
When you do freelance work, do you do it on a self-employed basis, or are you taxed at source?
Self employed basis, The benefits of bectu for me looks to be price for PLI, equipment and professional insurance which I need to get for work in local community halls etc.

Then as I say, check the exclusions. No disrespect to BECTU, but a policy that's a one-size-fits-all add-on, is probably not going to be as good as a policy arranged to meet your personal situation.

As usual: Don't forget that PLI does not absolve you from doing the job safely in the first place. Insurance companies have been known to sue policyholders, for the cost of payouts to injured parties, where negligence on the part of said policyholder has been shown.

Archived