Plasa 09

Jerome

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone see the raising and lowering mic stand in the innovations gallery?

Yup. And the retro fit device that Stage Solutions have. Useful for people who do not know how to use a mic stand, but perhaps mildly superfluous for those who do? I'm not sure what happens when the latter comes across a system designed for the former...

Simon

Look - I know this is very trivial and childish, and not at all worthy of such an auguest body as the BR - but I forgot to get one while I was there. Who was it that was doing the 'sound engineers' T-shirts with things like 'Yes, I do know what all the knobs do'; 'No, I'm not a DJ'; 'No, I don't do requests' and so on for a tenner?

Look - I know this is very trivial and childish, and not at all worthy of such an auguest body as the BR - but I forgot to get one while I was there. Who was it that was doing the 'sound engineers' T-shirts with things like 'Yes, I do know what all the knobs do'; 'No, I'm not a DJ'; 'No, I don't do requests' and so on for a tenner?

The original version of this is here. It predates the other versions including the HK Audio one that had very similar wording indeed.

This version has one rude word in it so this might not be a link you want to open if your headmaster or delicate manager is stood behind you.

Crew T-Shirt Reprint.

Cheers,

Peter

I think the highlights of the show for me weren't really that exciting. Neutriks Opticon Quad (ideal for HD DVI signals, about the same cost as the cables from Kramer et al, but actually designed for rental) was great, SES little distros that tick the boxes we need ticked, and Element Labs Cobra LED screen.

Seeing Pete Smith (AKA Spliffy, who I've not seen for a year or two) dressed up and on his stand was also amusing. It was also good to meet Lightnix too.

There was a half coupler style thing in Hall two that caught my eye - it was a half coupler, with a welded reciever for 48mm pipe, and a short diagonal brace downwards to take the strain integral as part of the connector. It was powder coated black - if anyone could remember the manufacturer I would be very grateful.

Seeing Pete Smith (AKA Spliffy, who I've not seen for a year or two) dressed up and on his stand was also amusing.

Indeed it was quit a shock,he mentioned a pink tutu for next year.

Highlight for me was finding a solution to case my all in one pc, and cheap to boot, some rather nice 15" dual concentric beymer drivers,those led movers by showtec and those jolly nice chaps at chamsys.

Low points. The attitude of some stands,OK im not going to spend 7658857 million with you,but im seriously interested in one of your products its exactly the solution im looking for ,I don't want any free swag,just something with the details to aid my fading memory is that too much hassle? And exhibitors,if your going to put a desk to let us play with the movers on your stand why not get a little bit of lx tape and a sharpie and mark what each channel does,it will save me spending 10 minutes trying to work it out .

Final highpoint was a rather nice Vietnamese restaurant off old street that sells Hanoi beer , proper diy spring rolls and sticky rice.

The attitude of some stands,OK im not going to spend 7658857 million with you,but im seriously interested in one of your products its exactly the solution im looking for ,I don't want any free swag,just something with the details to aid my fading memory is that too much hassle?

The approach of one of the chain hoist manufacturers confused me; the rep seemed either unable or unwilling to discuss their products, wasn't interested in the application I was looking for some for, wouldn't volunteer any details of a UK distributor, nor would supply any materials - but did get me to write down my email address, although I don't expect to hear from them. I couldn't work out what they were exhibiting for if they weren't looking to generate interest.

And exhibitors,if your going to put a desk to let us play with the movers on your stand why not get a little bit of lx tape and a sharpie and mark what each channel does,it will save me spending 10 minutes trying to work it out

Well said!

Most impressed by the Varilite VLX.

Well it was a bit quiet wasn't it. In comparison to other days I have been before it just seemed people less, I think I had to move out of some one's way once.

Got some good info for the arts centre I casual at, and a couple of other little bits. Not much swag but I SO want some of those metal cards goboland do.

I found a couple of suppliers almost questioning why I was there, esp one company who I love, the rep was just not friendly.

collect as many lanyards as you can

Well, they seem to be a good way for a firm to get cheap, long-lasting advertising - and they're dead handy for making dongles and USB memory sticks just a bit more difficult to lose...

Well it was a bit quiet wasn't it

I think a lot of the DJ-oriented suppliers have defected to the BPM show at the NEC - see This...

Sunday was certainly a lot quieter, and not so many 'spotty yoofs' wandering around wearing baseball hats, with headphones slung around their necks...

I thought that there were fewer exhibitors, particularly the smaller outfits, and even the big players stands seemed smaller and less lavish than a couple of years ago - sign of the times, I guess. Several of the smaller exhibitors I talked to were complaining about the costs and saying that they probably wouldn't come back next year.

Archived