A good moving light desk

tommulliner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im thinking that I may put forward to the school about the jester ML24. our current desk, alcora 12/24 has the same amount of channels and that seems to suit us, but the jester will be able to manage the movers. plus its only £1,650 (roughly).

Oh and going off topic for a moment, what is a DMX Universe? havn't quite got that yet :s

Thanks,

Tom.

A DMX universe is how many DMX channels a single desk output will control. so for instant;

I have 1 universe

DMX channels 1-60 I used up by your 2 moving lights, you have 452 channels left to use, so each dimmer will take up 1 DMX channel. Each universe can control upto 512 DMX channels.

Does this make sense? the more universes you have the more fixtures you can use.

Thinking about it, if you dont know fundimentals like this, you should not be getting new equipment just yet. I dont think you should be specing any desk without knowing what each feature does, I.e how many universes it has, weather it takes ethernet connections (relevent or not) ect.

Yes, that does make sense now, thanks johnathan.

Have any of you used the Jester ML24, is it nice to use, user friendly?

Thanks.

I have one in our school. Easy to use and can handle movers. I got ours for about £1200 - bargain! It can handle movers with easy and gives you the the right sort of feature set. Are you going to Plasa?

Best,

Don't feel under pressure to buy a "special deal", take your time, look at each product and choose the most appropriate solution. I work at AC Lighting and we would be happy to arrange a range of different small consoles for your to evaluate at our showroom at High Wycombe, including the Jester ML and the Vista PC.

As mentioned by a previous poster AC have great pricing all of the time, so I am sure we can help you get the right solution for your application at the best price around.

E-mail me at glynod@ac-et to arrange a demo.

Glyn O'Donoghue

AC Lighting

DDI 01494 838305

Wouldn't recommend a PC/dongle/wing-based solution for school use - too many elements to the system, too many layers of complexity and possible points of failure. Stick with the one-box solution.

Aside from that, this is a topic that's been covered on the BR over and over and over and over and over and over and ... well, you get the picture. Give the search function a good thrashing, you'll see what I mean.

Speak to your local supplier. In Shrewsbury, that may well be Stage Electrics in Birmingham. Or maybe AC Lighting in Leeds - bit further, but very helpful chaps. Not sure who else would be close by. Tell them what you need to be able to do, and how much you can afford to spend. See what they can offer. Get them to lend you a couple of desks of different makes for a few days, and try them out. See if they do what you need them to do - and if they do it in a simple enough way for a wide cross-section of pupils with a broad range of lighting ability to be able to pick up basic operation skills fairly quickly. Then, and only then, start to think about making a decision. Certainly, don't think about making a decision based solely on the advice of inexperienced people posting suggestions on a public forum while only having the most basic grasp of your situation and needs.

Certainly, don't think about making a decision based solely on the advice of inexperienced people posting suggestions on a public forum while only having the most basic grasp of your situation and needs.

As to who are you refering, or are you just generalising to people who are under a certain age?

Archived