A good moving light desk

tommulliner

I may get shot down for this but here goes.

Slightly off topic to start with. Tom it sounds like the school have approached this eyes closed and rather cart before horse (bought movers before controller).

My secondary school had a strand GSX console and just before I left upgraded it to a pearl 2004 (was brand new at the time) and have subsequently bought 8 MAC 550s over the years since. They, as far as I'm aware, get pulled out of the dusty lighting store once every year for the schools main production, have their pan, tilt, shutter and if lucky colour wheel abused then go back for another year. Complete waste of money in my mind, money that could of been spent on upgrading/modernising the dimmers, lx bars and circuitry all of which runs on a 5a system it works yes but modernising it would of been a better choice in my opinion.

Anyway back to topic. Ive quickly looked on a second had lighting equipment website and found this CICKY if it helps atall. I was going to suggest a pearl 2000 or 2004 but a second hand on of those on the same website was over your limit.

Hope it helps.

Dan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here we go again. This just confirms what we all keep going on about, and then getting slammed for being negative on schools going clever.

A school have said they are going to buy movers. 1500 budget, which eventually turns out to be no budget.

Instead of working out what they want equipment for - as in what will the benefit to the students be, they just steamed into an area they have shown themselves to be severely out of their depth in.

Why do people insist on wanting to buy toys to play with in schools and colleges?

It wasn't my idea to get the movers, it was the schools, I was quite happy with hiring.

The £1500 budget was a rough estimate, which sadly was out of the school's idea of price range. Their overall budget for the hall revamp is £15,000 so I personally dont see why they dont invest in a decent desk that will last them. I am too quite annoyed at the fact we arn't getting a nice desk, but it is a school, and education comes first! (damm!!)

but it is a school, and education comes first! (damm!!)

well...what comes first are the students on the boundary grades...those who a small improvement will help the schools figures. My little sister gets little help because she constantly gets As and Bs and so improving her wont help the school improve in the league tables...a students getting Ds will get help because if they can get a C the school will look better.

So why is this important or a I just having a rant...well...if your school offers a performing arts btec and has students doing technical sides of this then the marking criteria is vague. The only difference in wording as far as I can remember is "advanced" skills. We got our students to give a demonstration using our Jester desk for the lower grade...and then the ML to get the higher grade showing it was advance (when I say we...the teacher worked this one out..."its not for me to reason why.....")

Hopefully that might help you with some leaverage on the desk!

Steve

(ps...earlier on in this thread I showed the vista could be got for under £1000, also the chamsys, if you can work out how to pronounce it, is a great bit of kit although ive only ever been shown it and never used it so cant give to much info on it but there are options out there for you...others on here will be able to tell you more)

edit: typos!

I have used and do use a Chamsys MagicQ Maxi Wing on a regular basis and it is a fantastic little desk.  It is a PC based Lighting console (desk plugs in via USB to a PC which is running the MagicQ Software to those who are unsure of what I mean.)

Dan

EDIT: Removed double space.

There are a number of solutions that would fit your needs, I have used a couple in anger, namely the Chamsys MagicQ and the JesterML.

Both are very different consoles in the way they work, the ML will be less of a learning curve for people who come to use it but the MagicQ is vastly more powerful and versatile. Each has their strengths and weaknesses in your situation but if I were in your shoes I would (apart from bang my head against the wall after finding out the school was buying movers) recommend the JesterML (not the ML24/ML48)

Although your budget wont stretch to a ML24/ML48 the you can use the JesterML because it has a DMX input which allows you to use your existing Alcora as faders for the Generic Channels. This will be as close to having an all in one hardware solution as you can get within your limited budget. The benefit of this setup is that it allows you to take the JesterML out of the chain and operate the generic rig as you always have. This will mean the people who don't have the time to mess around with lights wont have to pick up a new desk. Meanwhile, you have a plug and play Movers Ad on for the Control which is small, easy to store, and easy to learn.

Hopefully that is clear and easy to understand with a good explanation of my reasoning.

Best of luck.

Josh

Just go with the jester

So what other desks have you used (I mean other manufacturers, not just differing models in the Z88 range), and how do they compare to the Jester?

Many, I have used several Strands and ETCs, and a TONs of manual desks, I dont remember all the manufacturers

But I liked the original Frog Range, and after playing with the new ZERO88 range I like those too.

Just go with the jester

So what other desks have you used (I mean other manufacturers, not just differing models in the Z88 range), and how do they compare to the Jester?

Many, I have used several Strands and ETCs, and a TONs of manual desks, I dont remember all the manufacturers

But I liked the original Frog Range, and after playing with the new ZERO88 range I like those too.

OK, let's put this into context. You're 13 - right? So which desks have you used in a real-world show-conditions situation - for actually programming and operating a show? 'Having a go at a trade show' (or similar) does not count as having 'used' a desk .... just like sitting behind the wheel of a car in a showroom and fiddling with the switches a bit doesn't actually mean you've 'driven' it ....

Just go with the jester

OK, let's put this into context. You're 13 - right? So which desks have you used in a real-world show-conditions situation - for actually programming and operating a show? 'Having a go at a trade show' (or similar) does not count as having 'used' a desk .... just like sitting behind the wheel of a car in a showroom and fiddling with the switches a bit doesn't actually mean you've 'driven' it ....

I'm not think! I have never been too a trade show because there arnt any close too me, and I don't have much time too travel due to school!

I'm not think[ing]!
What was said about spelling?
When will this fiasco of a topic end?
I hope it doesn't. It is much more entertaining than half the trash that's called television these days.

maybe I'm stressed and trying too type on a small iPhone screen?

Archived