Sound, Light & Event tech @ Derby uni

Well I'm after the most expensive halls- so not far off! And they're only on Agard Street, so it'd probably take longer to drive down to Brittania Mill than it would to walk...

I'll try it next time I'm in Derby...

Just so I know (and because I can't be bothered to wander over to the website), when are the next open days? I came to one a few months ago, but had to leave just before the SLLET talk to get to Nottingham for my girlfriend...

Cheers!

Ben

Whilst it is entirely accurate that SLLET is heavily engineering based (maths, science, electronics); I would not agree that you need to have a degree in maths before commencing SLLET!

Whilst some of it is very in depth I always found help was around for those who needed it, and the course leaders were always happy to provide or arrange extra help for those who were finding the more academic side hard.

That said, if you sit in your lounge watching Dave saying 'this is hard, can't be bothered' rather than telling someone you're struggling then you'll fail, but this is a degree and some personal initiative is expected.

Care to expand on your point zimmerman?

Just so I know how much of my A level maths to revise over the next few months, how mathematical is the course?

Also, would anyone (graduates etc) want to be selling any of their course books anytime soon?

Just booked onto the Jan 30th open day, so I suppose I might be seeing some people there...

It depends on what modules you do, and I understand some of the first year modules (including the mathematics module I sat) have been changed since my first year.

You don't need to be a mathematical genius, but you should be comfortable with trigonometry, standard mathematical operands and rearranging equations.

There is plenty of help at hand if you need it, informally from class mates and formally through university arranged mentors and classes.

Just so I know how much of my A level maths to revise over the next few months, how mathematical is the course?

Year 1 maths is pretty straightforward if you have got A level maths. Some of the year 2 & 3 modules will include (for example) Fourier, Laplace and Z transforms. To some extent such modules are optional.

Simon

Maybe I could give you an idea of the maths......... from a students perspective who struggled with maths

I left school with a gcse E in maths, went back to college, grabbed a C.

I didn't do A levels maths, but I still came away at the end of the course with a 2:1

In Year 1 (assuming you still do this SL!!), there is quantitative methods. Its a maths module specifically designed at bringing everyone to the same engineering maths capability. If you have A level maths, this is a subject that you will never even have to go to a lecture for (figure of speech, still go or you'll get a slapped wrist)...but me, I had to go every week, work very hard to understand, and past it....albeit the second test I had to re take .

The maths can be done by almost anyone with a mentality to work hard at it. As Simon rightly said, there are interesting maths within acoustics, electronics, rigging etc.

however, you don't need a degree or A* in A levels just to get going. Granted you have to meet the entry requirements and the maths isnt for everyone. But don't let the prospect of thinking 'oh, I need to be a rocket scientist to do this" put you off

my2p

Si

Archived