Teaching The Tech Crew

michael

I did a similar basics taster session for some groups of year 8 students a few years ago. I issued them with some cheap DIY gloves as one of them was bound to touch hot parts of a lantern when focussing off the T bar no matter how well you explain that the units get hot! Also, with regard to using gobos it is good to reinforce that they are DELICATE and NEED a holder, which you then show them how to utilise - quite a few students forgot this point and just stuck the gobo in the gate, minus holder. That, or they only sat it in 2 clips of the holder so it then fell out inside. Great fun.

I run the crew in school on a wing and a prayer most the time.

we had a lighitng course which was created by Skip Mort, with dvds, but some of the ativities are harder to do with bigger groups.

However, in 2 years of running it, I havent had any majoy accidents or burns...touch wood.

Here's my advice, from my experience of being trained as a technician:

• Always make sure your students have something to do. Don't have them hanging around watching you do something, and if they ask you if they can help make sure the answer is yes 9 times out of 10. If they feel like they're wanted/valued then they will become more enthusiastic and will learn more.
  • Give them rewards for helping you. Although it sounds very childish, giving them a biscuit or a drink that only you are normally allowed to have will make them feel 'part of the team'.
  • Slowly give them more and more privileges that you have. Again, this well make them feel like they can be trusted.

That's all the advice I can give, but I hope it helps B-)

Archived