EXTRA POWER More Speakers?

Gibbs

There is quite simply no such thing as throw.

But there is, I've read it in the sales literature...

And the half time scores are just in:

Sales and Advertising first team: 1 BR academicals second eleven: 0

"Horn loaded jobbies will throw the sound further, why put speakers all over the place, the band arent all over the room they are at the front?"

Err, yes the band arnt "all over" the room, the audience are!! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
im here to be eductated but I dont see why a good sound system at the front couldnt do the job, and why there would be a need to have speakers dotted around the place, I could understand it in a nightclub but not with a live act, I dont wish for a witty remark just an answer. ol

However, take in to consideration the dispersion of the box.

I have no idea what the boxes you have are, but for arguements sake, lets just say 60x40.

If you buy new boxes which are horn loaded, then dependant on the box, you could reduce this down to as much as 25x15. Therefore actually needing 3 boxes to get the horizontal coverage you had with your old speakers.

Do you have an accountant?

The basics are, every box has a purpose. It's suited to that, and a better box can work outside its comfort zone a little better, but there is never going to be a one box fits all box. Though there are boxes that fit a wider range of things.

If you need to get sound to travel further, it needs to be louder at the front, but to be louder at the front, it needs to be higher up to avoid deafening people at the front.

There is no physical way to make sound skip a bit and then be loud at the back.

If you bought horn loaded speakers which control the dispersion down to a lower frequency (though on their own, still not too low), then this may work out better for the larger gigs, though you'd be killing the front row to get it to the back. However, your smaller gigs, you'd have an unsuitable system. Horns sound nasty close up, and in small rooms, everyone is ... close up.

So LOUD boxes, that you can put on a stick, and point in the right place are one of the best ways of covering lots of difference sized rooms.

Archived