Reporting a dangerous rig

savage1

Of course, having posted here, the OP has already lost a certain amount of that anonymity. We know his first name, can take a reasonable guess at the surname, his location, age, and some of the people he works for. There's nothing to say that the venue can't do likewise. The venue hasn't been named, but there's probably enough information in this thread for someone who knows the venue to identify it.

You could always try the likes of the PSA or PLASA, both of whome have links and contacts wiht the HSE and have an interest in protecting the wider freelance workforce. manyyears ago I was asked to work illegaly in the USA and the PSA gave 100% back up and offered to cover legal expenses if the issue became nasty. I didn't get to test them but It made me feel more confident in tackiling the problem. BECTU might be another good call. good luck

Firstly: thank you to everybody that has replied to this thread!

I'm going to try writing to the venue again with a detailed list of the problems and I've informed 1 of the promoters that I work for that I can't help them with gigs at said venue untill the issues are resolved. I'm aware that my anonimity is comprimised by posting on blueroom but this was an issue I needed advice on and to be honest I would also hope that anybody from the venue that realised I was posting about them would take this thread as a hint that they really need to resolve these issues.

I just hope that giving them a complete list and my recomendations will prompt them in to doing something. I don't cherish the thought of being responsible for a venue closure (even if only a temporary one) but I just don't feel comfortable with the public, staff and performers being bellow that truss.

Guest lightnix
I'm going to try writing to the venue again with a detailed list of the problems and I've informed 1 of the promoters that I work for that I can't help them with gigs at said venue untill the issues are resolved... I would also hope that anybody from the venue that realised I was posting about them would take this thread as a hint that they really need to resolve these issues.

I just hope that giving them a complete list and my recomendations will prompt them in to doing something...

That's a noble stand you're taking and I take my hat off to you, for standing up and being counted.

However, I fear the more likely outcome will be, that they'll just find someone to take your place*. Click here to read what happens, to people who "complain too hard" :unsure:

Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

*e2a... Especially if you've been slagging them off to local promoters - something that could be taken as defamation.

Rule One - Keep it civilised.

Never slag anyone off personally, just say that you're "concerned" about the equipment/installation due to blah blah.

It's entirely possible that the manager hasn't been up there and seen it themselves yet - stuff that 'works' tends to be mostly ignored.

- I remember seeing a dimming rack that had never been maintained or even cleaned in 15 years. It was at the back of a store cupboard and never noticed until it stopped working due to being completely gummed up with sticky brown stuff.

Archived