Manual Chain Hoists and Slack Chain

TomHoward

Okay, well to re-phrase the first part, that wouldn't work with our tab tracks. They are half width tracks coming in from each side.

We were intending to purchase chain bags with the hoists, and I understand (and have stated that) there will still be working at height, but also that it will be shorter and safer than methods currently incurred.

I can't see any problem with our current points but I will raise it, given that the dead bar is rated to quarter of a ton, and we will be using it for around 100kgs max it hadn't occurred to me that we might be involving greater loads than it was originally rated for.

The inspection will be covered with the rest of the equipment - as described we already have a 10-bar hoist system in the same room.

If we could spend the money to make all the work possible from the ground I would, but budgets are political and hard to come by - so as much as I would like to totally eliminate working at height I don't see that we will be able to do it within the budgets available, so I thought it might be an idea to improve the situation as much as we could.

Explorered and ruled out by a company looking to quote for a winch solution. There is nothing load-bearing below the ceiling, all the cables pass through the plasterboard into the roofspace, where the RSJs are accessible.

We were looking to raise the bar into position and immediately transfer it onto a dead hang using the chain hoists, and I'd asked a question about the specific use of them hoping for an answer. Frankly I'm regretting not just taking the question to the supplier, but I thought I might have been able to get a more balanced and insightful answer here.

Thanks to Paul for the recommendation - I will give them a call but owing that we won't have huge amounts of money to spend (and that at the moment the whole idea is theoretical, depending on budget) I wouldn't want to take up their time having them out to quote a job that may never be realised. I will phone them up and explain our situation though.

You have asked Rob Quin for an opinion haven't you? He knows the venue well and has the experience neccesary to recommend something suitable. Neither will he mind giving the advice for free.

Kind Regards

Matthew Hulme

(An OF, who 5 years ago didn't have luxurys like winched bars, certainly not electric ones. It all involved the dodgiest A frame ever!)

Archived