Studio Monitor Speakers

buck_rogers999

Also, as a couple of curveballs, for my home studio I've been using the rcf monitor 55s (which I picked up dirt cheap) and at work we use ATC SCM20s in our real studio.

When properly amped the ATCs are fantastic speakers, and the RCFs aint bad either.

M

Also, as a couple of curveballs, for my home studio I've been using the rcf monitor 55s (which I picked up dirt cheap) and at work we use ATC SCM20s in our real studio.

When properly amped the ATCs are fantastic speakers, and the RCFs aint bad either.

M

The SCM20s are *slightly* out of the OP's budget, to the tune of several thousand pounds, and the RCFs aren't really competition to a good pair of monitors...

The SCM20s are *slightly* out of the OP's budget, to the tune of several thousand pounds, and the RCFs aren't really competition to a good pair of monitors...

I know they are a bit pricey new but last time I looked there were a significant number of ebay atc shaped bargains to be had (ie £400-500). Having just driven from working in the aforementioned studio to my home, I'd say that the RCFs are definitely competition to a decent set of monitors. I know that the set I'm using are precise, not fatiguing and good in the HF and the low end that they do have is reasonably well defined. Admittedly they're a bit of a curveball (as I admitted) but they aint at all bad, and compared to the last set of tannoys I heard, I'd definitely consider them.

M

The M-Audios are noisy, need a largeish room to play with, will wreak havoc if your acoustics aren't that good (more so than a smaller pair of monitors) and are rear ported. That isn't to say I've ever actually used them to mix down on, but I've heard them, briefly, and thought they sounded nice, but then again, they were turned right up, and in a very large room.

Still, too noisy for me, and I can't be doing with hiss coming from the speakers...

I would urge you to look at front-ported speakers, it really seems to make a big difference to the way the speakers interact with the room...

I have a small room and picked up 3 Genelec 1029s for about 100 quid each, I run them with a sub and I am quite pleased with them (repeat small room) Have also heard good things about Adam.

Slightly veering off re NS10's and their history, as I understand it they used to be used as a listen back reference to old home stereos, much like you would by taking a mix and listening to it in a car and such. Back in the day somebody who worked at one of the old school proper recording studios mentioned them in a press article and subsequently, because they were being used 'in a studio,' the price shot up and they became de facto.

Anybody who knows better feel free to correct me on this but suffice to say I don't think they were designed as reference monitors to begin with.

All the best

Slightly veering off re NS10's and their history, as I understand it they used to be used as a listen back reference to old home stereos, much like you would by taking a mix and listening to it in a car and such. Back in the day somebody who worked at one of the old school proper recording studios mentioned them in a press article and subsequently, because they were being used 'in a studio,' the price shot up and they became de facto.<br /><br />Anybody who knows better feel free to correct me on this but suffice to say I don't think they were designed as reference monitors to begin with.

Yes, I believe you are right. They were meant as a reference for a typical home low-fi system but the manufacturers saw how to hype up a good bandwagon.

And before that, there was the Auratone - a 4" speaker in a tiny sealed box, a bit like a Bose 101. A famous engineer / studio disclosed that they were using them as a reference to hear what their mix would sound like on a rubbishy transistor radio or domestic TV set. All the magazine readers and wannabees completely failed to get the original point of why and how they were being used. Whereupon, a wave of manufacturers' hype and mass hysteria elevated them to cult status and every studio had to get a pair. We had been using a perfectly good pair of car radio speakers, but clients had to have Auratones instead...

But on topic for the BR, they were actually very good for theatre spot effects. Indestructible, and easily hidden around the set. Which is more than can be said for NS10's.

Archived