Scanners

tokm

I still like the old cybers. When we first bought them, high end were regarded by people I knew at the time as the more reliable manufacturer (especially compared to Martin). I think there are lots of tired cybers out there now. Reliability is more to do with maintenance and how kit is treated unless there is a specific design flaw. Main one we've come across in the cybers is the well documented cable failing if the unit is reguarly stood on end. They did have glass gobos when 'most' fixtures were still using steel. It depends what you're trying to do.

Like most things in this industry addressing is simple enough 'if you know how', but when they were first divised things weren't as standardised as they are now. Set the chosen mode, cover up all but the fixture number dips, and its quite easy to address, just DIFFERENT. 3 pin DMX was very common back then (Martin) as 3pin XLR leads were cheap and common. Any kind of 'display' was very expensive to implement and the flashing error messages were actually quite a 'clever' means of providing feedback cheaply. Remember how crude a masterpiece user interface was and that was a desk!

Anyone know how much Cyber 2's are selling for?

I'm surprised the Cyber 2 still weighs 45kg. I'd have expected an electronic ballast to reduce that even if is a 2k fixture. Still similar weight to a VL3000 though I think? Shame they've only four 'rotating' gobos (21 in the xSpot - which they no longer list on their web site!). Price will be the decider I think

Archived