WEEE

J Pearce

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work in a cinema and we have lamp tubes for all our old lamps from everywere in the building and we can even put broken xenons in them. cant think of the name of the company that supply them but if anyone would like the company name I can find out next time im in work.

Teddington Studios have a pot of used batteries in the reception that you can help your self too.

WEEE is a funny beast, and it only covers discharge lamps, MSR MSD Xenon etc, not HPLs Pars etc.

also be careful when taking dead lamps in comercial vehicals, as its is classed as hazardus waste. ;)

True, but remember that used lamps only become controlled waste when you declare them to be waste.

Taking a dead mercury containing lamp in a work vehicle probably requires a waste transfer note and might even require registration as a licensed waste carrier.

If however you decide that the article is a secondhand lamp, being transported to another building for testing, then thats OK :(

Taking a dead mercury containing lamp in a work vehicle probably requires a waste transfer note and might even require registration as a licensed waste carrier.
ISTR reading that you can take your own waste to a licenced waste collection operator, but not someone elses. Unless you have a licence.

• 1 year later...

To drag up an old thread, we're selling used AA and 9V batteries off the show. Got to a point in the summer where we were selling more than we were using and had to stop selling for a few weeks!

9V go for £1

10AA for £2.10

100AA for £15.99

We've sold to a Travel Lodge, The Science Museum, and a Dominatrix, and a load of other business and consumers. I think only one bad feedback. A few people have bought them without reading the advert though, and hadn't realised they were used!

If you want more details ... http://shop.ebay.co.uk/thebatteryboys10

This is obviously not here as an advert, as I am sure everyone here has a good source of 2nd hand batteries. Mods feel free to remove the link if you feel necessary.

WEE wise, if any of the buyers want to return the batteries to us for disposal we can do that, as we have plenty of batteries that still get sent off, that we feel aren't good enough to sell.

We estimate, we've taken about £1500 since trading, about 1/2 that is profit, the main cost being the postage, as batteries are heavy, and the Ebay/PayPal fees.

We just make sure we're enough £ cheaper than the cheapest new on Ebay to make it an attractive enough buy. When we sold out over the summer 100 AA were going for £17.99 but since then, some sellers have dropped their new prices and our sales dropped, so we had to drop our price too!

Just proves the idiots that buy off fleabay, NEW PP3 are 67p each and AA are £5 for 40 plus vat approx from CPC, not procell but still good.

I used to recycle my old batts, I think I'll start putting them on fleabay if you can get that much for them. ;)

ISTR reading that you can take your own waste to a licenced waste collection operator, but not someone elses. Unless you have a licence.

A friend of mine used to collect scrap copper and keep it in a dustbin then weigh in a bin at a time but that ment as well as a "waste transportation licence " he needed a licence to be a "Waste Transit store" no doubt another stelth tax to pay

I would think it would be OK as long as it is an alarm which lets you know when the battery is low/dead. I would assume an alarm such as a smoke detector to be a fairly low drain device, as the batteries in them do tend to last a long time, so with part used batteries they just won't last quite so long.

Archived