Future LS9 enhancements

dan slv-tech

The one thing I miss off the LS9 compared to the old 01V/DM series is the MIDI String output from User Defined keys. You can't use the UD keys for MIDI control of playback systems etc any more (other than the internal playback engine.)

Hear Hear!

Very sad to lose that as a feature from the 01v days

I did raise this with the development guys on the stand at PLASA.

Currently the way we do it is use something spare on the desk (for example a mute on an unused channel on the second layer), route the UD key to toggle this, assign a MIDI command to the mute, and press to output MIDI. However, it's not a neat workaround, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement - even if the MIDI outputs were hard coded to a few options, or even just MSC commands, we could re-patch the cue software to fit.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Currently the way we do it is use something spare on the desk (for example a mute on an unused channel on the second layer), route the UD key to toggle this, assign a MIDI command to the mute, and press to output MIDI. However, it's not a neat workaround, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement - even if the MIDI outputs were hard coded to a few options, or even just MSC commands, we could re-patch the cue software to fit."

Could you please explain how you do this? I've been trying to figure out a work around but I've been unsuccessful. How do you assign a MIDI command to the mute and get that to the MIDI out? I'm trying to control the GO in Qlab with a UDK on the LS9.

Thank you very much,

Andrew Harper

3) Why cant I control Delay lines from SM- I admittedly use my laptop wirelessly when at jobs, and whilst I can mix from anywhere in the vacinity (at a muso wedge position controlling/ building his mix) I cant be doing delay lines or center clusters.

That'd be top of my list as well. I'd be interested in hearing what Yamaha's big objection to doing this is.

6) Again on each channel you can have a "direct out" assigned- currently you can only have one OP routed from each channel (not the same OP) why not have the capability of being able to route IP to any multiple OP, so as to be able to build another mix bus- you can do it everywhere else on the desk- my thinking is you could use it as a recording out, therefore not using up any of your auxes, and what would be even better would be that you could route the direct out to the USB stick- thus you can build an albeit mono mix that was variable in levels to the on board USB stick.

The direct outs on the LS9 are pre fade so if I've understood what you're proposing correctly your mix wouldn't be variable.

Post fade direct outs would be very useful for me, though I accept I might be in the minority with that request.

3) Why cant I control Delay lines from SM- I admittedly use my laptop wirelessly when at jobs, and whilst I can mix from anywhere in the vacinity (at a muso wedge position controlling/ building his mix) I cant be doing delay lines or center clusters.

That'd be top of my list as well. I'd be interested in hearing what Yamaha's big objection to doing this is.

6) Again on each channel you can have a "direct out" assigned- currently you can only have one OP routed from each channel (not the same OP) why not have the capability of being able to route IP to any multiple OP, so as to be able to build another mix bus- you can do it everywhere else on the desk- my thinking is you could use it as a recording out, therefore not using up any of your auxes, and what would be even better would be that you could route the direct out to the USB stick- thus you can build an albeit mono mix that was variable in levels to the on board USB stick.

The direct outs on the LS9 are pre fade so if I've understood what you're proposing correctly your mix wouldn't be variable.

Post fade direct outs would be very useful for me, though I accept I might be in the minority with that request.

Delays are the biggest bug bear I have with it as well so I would like to know the answer to this also what I dont get tho is that there is a new palm pc called the BeStation that has jsut come onto the market that can do the delays and works in the same way of using a wireless hub and midi protocol so why cant Yamaha do it.

I might be on my own for wanting this but here goes anyway...

I'd like the option of the action of the ON buttons to be able to be a little less abrupt.

I'll try to explain: I do a lot of musicals; I've previously used a GB4 quite a bit for these. The mutes on that desk act like very fast fades (probably about 0.2 seconds) rather than an instantaneous on / off action. I've always found this to work rather nicely with radio mics as it makes the act of switching their channels on and off rather more subtle than a straight switch. A menu option to globally soften the action of the ON buttons a little would be really useful for me. Anyone else find that?

A menu option to globally soften the action of the ON buttons a little would be really useful for me. Anyone else find that?

Yes.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about that on my way to work today! I think I'd want to be able set on & off times separately. My thinking was that a mute group could be on a user key so that it's there when you are on a different layer.

Something I would like to see on digi desks, is an option for the pre fade auxes to mute when the channel fader goes below a certain level - so that onstage monitors go off when you pull the fader down as the talent walks off stage to the dressing room and starts talking, so I can use the faders to open/close the channels, and not also have to use the mute switches.

It seems unlikely on a non-VCA board. How do you implement a fade system without VCAs to control?

Fade is perhaps not quite the right word; it just acts a little more softly than a straight switch.

Archived