X-Factor

LXbydesign

So Dave,

What extra things rigged for the live shows can we look forward to seeing?!! The lasers for Robbie were good!

The pyros / Co2 and heavy fog are a bit hum-drum now . . . .

What would be good for next year would be some moving rig elements - aside from the LED walls :stagecrew:

I was particularly surprised that there didn't seem to be hardly any noticeable reflection back off the floor from the lasers (or at least that showed up on the telly) I'd have thought that the clear floor used on the stage would've been terrible knowing how badly even windows can reflect. Was it AR treated of something?

Shame the TV made it look like it was flickering more than it would've been in real life. I think it's this factor that'll limit quite how much lasers make it into shows for just TV use, as it struggles to do them justice.

that said, they do seem to be cropping up again all over the shop which is nice :stagecrew:

The reflection was certainly there from the floor - but at a much reduced brightness. Having a gloss floor rather precludes any anti-reflection surface - which occasionally means you see the reflection of the front spot bouncing up and hitting the main central screen.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the laser units used - they came over from the Netherlands with a couple of guys, and I think the units are pretty new as we were told we had the only 4 in Europe. There's quite a nice white out of them (not just light green) - but as usual they start to flicker if you get too ambitious with the scanning. The flicker of the lasers on the screen was in fact pretty similar to how it looked by eye - I think somebody way up the food chain liked it.

Certainly it's been nice to have laser guys arrive wanting max 32A 3 phase and no water required. How things have moved on...

The lighting extras for each weekend generally get quoted / confirmed on a Thursday or Friday before the weekend so it keeps things interesting. Thus we're still a few days from having Bon Jovi extras nailed down.

Cheers

Dave

I can't help but wonder if anyone 'high up' watched the post-compression broadcast video, as some segments of the lasers looked pretty terrible to me.

Compression artefacts all over the place, not to mention the occasional moire effect.

I suspect that it probably looked much better in full un-compressed HD in the gallery, but by the time it got to me... Ick.

Yeah, what is it with the artefacts from overcompression with X Factor. Every time the interlude footage comes on I have to joke to my missus that they asked the tea boy to compress the footage and he knackered the whole series. It's almost laughable and shows up so badly compared to other programs. It's not even as if storage is expensive these days, but perhaps its a cunning ploy to force us all to HD

I particually liked the LX for 'the terrible twins' on Sat. They were bloody awful as usual (but we wont even start on that topic!!) but the lighting was nice and colourful! Enjoyed it a lot.

The La Matria (spelling) "fake flame' fixtures would be good for BJ. All along the front of the stage and up the back of the set each side. Lots of red, amber and white light all over.

Oh , and some Bad Boys of course!

Sorry, I used some on a gig last month and dispite that they look like smallish washing machines, I love 'em!! :unsure:

Don't suppose anyone is in a position to engineer an unfortunate yet debilitating pyro cuing error for the twins...?

Director: What the hell happened there??!!?

Pyro Op: They were too far downstage. And who'd have thought we'd have got them BOTH at the same time!

Director: Why did that seem bigger than in rehearsal....

The sad fact of the move to freeview is that the quality of the pictures will never again be as good as they were with analogue telly. Apart from the small minority still watching an analogue feed, everyone else's pictures are being messed with after they leave the studio. Whether this is compression for Sky or for Freeview it's going to have a negative effect on what we see. You'll have noticed that there are very few slow full frame fades from shot to shot these days - as the compression can't cope with it. Similarly any shots of confetti go blocky and horrid. The Sky feed is now normally the best - and seems to have become the reference.

As far as I know, X Factor isn't going out in HD - so at least it's the same everywhere.

I'm not going to get involved in the debate about John and Edward - expect to say this: I cannot remember EVER meeting a nicer pair of people on a stage anywhere. They have been edited to cause controversy - but as people they are the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. I genuinely wish them all the best, and will be stunned if they're not presenting some sort of kid's telly as soon as their X Factor contracts finish.

Cheers, Dave

Ding! Dave hit the nail on the head.

Fair play to them , they might well be entertaining and ditto the comment about tv presenting, but I think the uproar about them is just because the X Factor is meant to be a prime contest for SINGERS!.

Im sure they would be fabulous for Britains Got Talent but it just makes such a mock up of such a high profile contest when acts like this are passing further and further down the line towards the final - and other 'better' singers are losing out.

Anyway, enough!

Archived