USB Go Button Remotes..

lewisfowler

• 3 years later...

Bumping an old topic, but it's more for info. Based on some of the advice in this topic I've been using a Korg nano pad for a couple of years with great success as a multi-button Qlab remote, firing a midi message that triggers the usual GO/STOP commands and some custom applescript cues that change cue lists/edit cue volumes. I've recently moved on to the Vestax Pad One, which is a very similar product, except that the pads light up, and when any pad is pressed, it changes colour from Green to Orange. Very useful compared to the NanoPad, as you get a visual indication that you've hit the GO command. Other things I like about it are that it has a separate MIDI out port, which works alongside the USB port, so you can send midi to 2 computers at once - useful if you need a tracking backup computer. It draws power from the USB socket (there is a DC in port as well should you need it), so that even if Qlab crashes on your main machine, the Pad One will still have power (assuming the reason for Qlab crashing isn't a power failure!). Programming what midi message comes from what pad, is done on the unit itself, not via a computer based editor, (although I do like that about the Nano products, you can save your configurations and load up a previous configuration very easily). Whilst programming the Pad One is simple enough, it is more time consuming than editing via a computer. It's a bit chunkier than the NanoPad, the pads are the same size as the V1 nanoPad, but it does have an aluminium chassis, which feels a lot more robust the the plastic of the nanoPad.

Picture below. I found some transparent label tape (though it wouldn't stay stuck to the pads for very long under sweaty fingers, which is why the GO label has come off!)

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o700/neilalexrose/Random/P1070370_zpsf3646e1b.jpg

There is a slight difference here as in my experience the MIDI USB controllers still continue to work even if the QLab or other window has lost focus, whereas the USB keyboard emulators only work if the window has focus.

Previously I have played around with the Korg NANOpad, which is similar to what you are using, although I am currently using a MidiFighter 3D (with all the accelerometer controls disabled), which is is a complete over-spec but it does allow you to individually program the button background colours. It's pricey now but they were running some offers over Christmas where it ended up around £100 delivered. Only problem is the buttons aren't easy to label bring black & round and aren't backlit.

I have also used a similar board to Clive's which is the Highly Liquid MIDI CPU, which is basically the same but generates MIDI instead of USB keyboard emulation, so you need to pair it up with a MIDI-USB interface or use a MIDI input on your sound card (if you have one)

(Just realised I'm repeating myself as I've already said this in the same topic 3 years ago..)

These shouldn't be an issue if you aren't someone who clicks away from your show control software during a show but I'm just a stickler for robustness (and a sucker for getting distracted), and I find we're always programming until the last minute so it's nice if the window doesn't need focus for rehearsals/programming as well.

With all of Tom's very important notes on focus in mind, I too use products from Ultimarc, though I prefer the U-HID Nano board - it's a lot simpler and is absolutely tiny. I'm still planning on working one in to a slimline controller that'll sit somewhere on my desk surface. Space is really limited though so I'm having to put some thought in to its' design.

For those people who just want one big "go" button and nothing else, their USB button looks ideal and it's only £15.12.

I think when I was playing with gamepads on PC, gamepads did work outside of the application having focus? This would have been G-Type on a Windows 2000 machine though as I have been a beret-wearing polo-neck sporting Mac fanatic since those dark ages.

That USB button does look incredible for the price, especially with RGB colouring, which assuming a computer will host two, means you could have a green 'Go' and red 'Stop' button for £30. Keyboard mapping is more beneficial in some situations as you can of course use it with things like Chamsys that limit MIDI control to a paid feature..

Reading the manual it has two configurable states for short & long press as well.

• 4 months later...

Bumping an old topic, but it's more for info.

Hi Neilalexrose,

Thanks for pointing out! Looks interesting indeed. I would be looking into this to control ChamSys, so assigning key codes instead of midi would be extremely useful.

May I ask what control surface you have in the background? Looks extremely nice!!:rolleyes:

I found some transparent label tape (though it wouldn't stay stuck to the pads for very long under sweaty fingers, which is why the GO label has come off!)

You can get decals which are much better, you use water and a paint brush to apply them to surfaces and I find they stick much better once finished, especially if you lacquer over the top.

I used such decals for rack panels and they are fine. Letraset is also quite good and you can get it on eBay in ready to use sheets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's generally accepted here that it's ok to suggest products that you sell, as long as you declare the commercial interests. ..

So your post should really read "we at orbital" ..... otherwise you will probably just get your posts deleted :)

Archived