Birmingham stampede

Roderick

At the end of the day, the basics of this are:

BCC held and promoted an event that's been held for several years (without incident) using popular music acts of the day. In past years (I've taken my family twice before) there've been acts such as McFly, Leona lewis, Scouting for Girls and others high in the public eye at the time. Despite these acts being, in many ways, BIGGER than JLS, one of this year's main offerings, FAR more people than were anticipated turned out and tried to get in.

Whilst not really defending BCC, I fail to see just how they could have predicted such a huge over-attendance in advance (don't forget, the only exact science is hindsight...). Yes, ticketing the event may well have helped, but a) it's never been necessary up to now and b) it would have added a significant extra overhead to the day. Both in fiscal costs and manpower required both to administer it and police the ticketed entry points.

As far as I can see, the main stage front barriers were more than suited to the job at that point - other barriers most likely suitable for where they were under the predicted footfall. That they MAY not have been adequate for the extra thousands is perhaps debatable. But considering that one of the problems on the day was that the sheer volume of people OUTSIDE the main fencing managed to gain entry by pushing those fences over speaks volumes to me - crowd mentality struck, I believe.

So - can we stop speculating therefore?

I'd suggest this one is closed as it's not really going anywhere.

Thank you Ynot, that was the sort of response I was looking for.

Whilst it wasn't good what happened, sometimes we just have to accept that things can go "unplanned".

The fact that the event has been run for many years in the same format without problems indicate to me that BCC had no grounds to expect anything that different for this years' event.

Looking at the pictures it appears to me the crowd barrier at the front of the stage is a stock standard "Mojo" type barrier at a reasonable distance from the stage.

Unfortunately there is no factual information on the outer fence line but in all honesty, if a crowd turns then there is little that will stop them. Chances are that if it had been a much sturdier fence there could have been much more serious injuries as a result of crowd pressure, its' failing may well have prevented casualties - but that is speculation.

I hope BCC will implement different systems for next year and doesn't take the easy way out by cancelling the event in the future.

Should anybody ever stumbles across the official report, I would love a copy as a study case.

I may have been mistaken about the FOS barrier. I'll have another look.

Pictures 4 and 8 on BBC News website reader's pictures shows the barrier in front of the stage, it looks like standard crush barrier to me and fit for purpose.  The barrier we discussed in the Event Design & Management lecture seemed to be further back at a choke point.  If memory serves it was lightweight barrier and collapsed when the audience was pushed against it.  This would fit with eyewitnesses saying they got cuts on their arms from the barrier.

I stand corrected.

• 4 weeks later...
Nice looking stage system though - anyone any idea who did the rig?

Serious structures

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

BCC use Robbie Wilson barrier. This barrier is used by Event Soloutions, Entertee and Musicmann Ltd. Nottingham Areana, Aberdeen and all of the O2 Academies also use it along with many other venues. I went to the gig after the incident to inspect the barrier and initial reports on the TV blamed the crowd barrier. After speaking to the BBC it was discovered that the barrier they were reporting about was bike racking not the FOS barrier.

I think this event will cause councils / promoters to pre-ticket all events from now on that will be one of the HSE recommendations. I wonder if the HSE response would have been different if this had been a private promoter event rather than a council event. I think a promoter would have been hauled thru the coals where the council will get a light slap and fine.

BCC are getting a bad rep as they had a screen collapse at another event only a few years ago.

I have seen the footage and the site was not locked down enough. Bike rack is not going to hold 10,000 people back that want to see a band for free. People were sitting on walls and when the security turned there back the people ran in.

Double skin security fencing is mandatory for festivals and for an anticipated crowd of 12-17K I think one line of bike rack on the vehicle gate is poor planning. Thsi is what Steel Shield and Herras fencing was invented for. Also skrimming fence allows sight lines to be cut and discourages people from watching and waiting at exit points. I would also encourage when under age (under 18 punters) are allowed in that a D shape barrier is employed to allow the mosh pit to be controlled kids of 10 can not tollerate a mosh pit if it goes wild. Also they end up going on shoulders another security hazard.

Also when the radio station manage to get 10 big pop acts and bill this as the biggest and best free party ever I would expect a large crowd. Calvin Harris sold out the 02 in Bham quickly at around £15 a ticket. So put him in a line up of free acts he could draw 5000 plus. If this show had been in the summer they could have had half the city turn up. I think the fact the weather was poor discouraged people from going down so the estimate of 30,000 was a small turn up. Very Scary!!

Archived