What do we think of Powerpoint 2010?

Phill Power

• 3 weeks later...
Microsoft Keynote 2010

Interesting concept.

Coming from a long life (in AV terms) of presentation technology, it is always interesting reading the Keynote/PP debate.

Personally we run our conference presentation management in Powerpoint with various little tricks to help out

the Mac users - quite rare that a conference can afford both Mac and Win in each conference room!

But we run any gala/awards/glossy stuff in keynote. People go on about keynote being the greatest thing around, yet

there are so many things I can only do in powerpoint. Keynote would be great with a more open platform, the ability

to add new transitions and better linking/programming. Still I doubt 2010 will beat Keynotes video playback ablilities.

I am also thankful that I now don't have to climb a chair between each presenter to swap their slide tray, check it's locked

at zero, have a row of Kodak caromates (?) for presenters to sort their slides, sit there and remount slides onto glass mounts.

Though I do miss the challenge of a great 3 gun line-up and true multi-media slide programming. Oh the days when things

just had to be precise, no choice about it.

I have yet to play with 2010 Beta (installed but no serious time with it yet). Video will be the major plus for me,

especially if it now fully supports Mac PP 2008 and embedded MOV files.

I could go on, but let's not. Enjoy AV-land

Kyle.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for anyone else, but as well as A/V work I give presentations at a number of global IT conferences (upto 10,000 delegates).

I and every other semi-pro presenter I know has switched to Keynote in the last 2 years. In every case that's also included shelling out on a new fully stocked Macbook Pro. In terms of slide preparation and presenter info, it's just miles ahead of 2007.

• 3 weeks later...
Worked on a tour of cinemas for a local company doing a conference for British Gas Business last year, and used Keynote... have to say, having adopted it since, it absolutely P***es over PP. will be downloading the beta now however, just to take a look. personally found it a lot easier to make an incredibly professional and graphics rich sideshow with the keynote, however, I am open to being proved wrong... lets see

Archived