SAVE OUR SOUND UK issues call to action:

AndyL

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent off one of those pre written emails to my MP a week or so ago (after filling the blanks!). Received an email about 2 hours after I had sent it, confirming she had received it and would "look into the matter" and she will get back to me by post.

Anyway, received the reply though the letter box, along with the christmas cards, today. And apparently she has signed the EDM, along with 72 other MPs. Then a hand written note on the bottom of the page confirming that she has written to the minister - presumably the one who wrote the EDM?

Jamie.

I sent off one of those pre written emails to my MP a week or so ago (after filling the blanks!). Received an email about 2 hours after I had sent it, confirming she had received it and would "look into the matter" and she will get back to me by post.

Anyway, received the reply though the letter box, along with the christmas cards, today. And apparently she has signed the EDM, along with 72 other MPs. Then a hand written note on the bottom of the page confirming that she has written to the minister - presumably the one who wrote the EDM?

Jamie.

That's great Jamie! The EDM wasn't actually tabled by a minister, the point is to make Government and politicians generally aware of the issue and to apply pressure to the relevant minister(s). I'm no expert on Parliamentary procedure, but it sounds like your letter has achieved exactly what it was supposed to. :biggrin:

The EDM is currently showing 71 signatures on the web site which is a great start. To really get some serious attention it needs to reach at least 200 signatures, so, to everybody else in the BR, if you haven't written to your MP yet, you know what to do (if not please see the start of this thread!).

Guest lightnix

Have now received a reply from said MP's Parliamentary Assistant and Researcher, to say that he will be happy to sign the EDM :o

Presumably that will be after the Christmas "recess" :** laughs out loud **:

• 2 weeks later...
The same thing is happening in Germany. The decision was made to sell the frequencies used by wireless mics to telephone companies who will use them for wireless internet. Prices for wireless mics are falling because they can not be used at all in 2016. Since last year in more and more areas there are tests with wireless internet so already there is no guarantee to use wireless mics. The idea of a refund for unusable wireless mics also did spread in Germany, but a partly refund does not help when the quality of wireless mics at other frequencies is problematic. Prices for wireless mics at the offered new frequencies are estimated to be ten times higher than today. It also seems that in future less mics can be used at the same time.

So, essentially, according to today's post, I can now buy a license with ch38 on it. And ch69. So, both, for the same price. That's great, apart from I bought one in October, for 2 years. So now ch38 licenses are available, does that mean my license covers ch38 too, given that you can now pay the SAME price and get both? Does it F**K. NO!. If I want ch38 I have to buy another! It's loose change, but it's the bloody principle of it all.

So what do I do, leave my 3000/5000 series in ch69, or have them done now whilst its..... Andy how much is it per unit? before the rush? Knowing that as a company based primarily around dry hires to places nationwide I could have problems in ch38 at the moment.

Unrelated, does anyone know if Shure can retune their prem stuff, the good ones before the new.. good ones ( I never know the model numbers but everyone should know the ones I mean... none of that slx and ulx rubbish) We have a few channels of that for those who refuse to see enough sense to use the sennheiser stuff (Has that made it any cheaper Andy?)

So, essentially, according to today's post, I can now buy a license with ch38 on it. And ch69. So, both, for the same price. That's great, apart from I bought one in October, for 2 years. So now ch38 licenses are available, does that mean my license covers ch38 too, given that you can now pay the SAME price and get both? Does it F**K. NO!. If I want ch38 I have to buy another! It's loose change, but it's the bloody principle of it all.

So what do I do, leave my 3000/5000 series in ch69, or have them done now whilst its..... Andy how much is it per unit? before the rush? Knowing that as a company based primarily around dry hires to places nationwide I could have problems in ch38 at the moment.

Unrelated, does anyone know if Shure can retune their prem stuff, the good ones before the new.. good ones ( I never know the model numbers but everyone should know the ones I mean... none of that slx and ulx rubbish) We have a few channels of that for those who refuse to see enough sense to use the sennheiser stuff (Has that made it any cheaper Andy?)

Hi Bob,

If we gave a discount to everyone who disses the (highly respected) competition we wouldn't make any money (just kidding!) :P

I'll come back to you on the 3000/5000 re-tune costs. It's complicated!

Re: the licence, I thought we could get a free 'upgrade'? From the Ofcom letter :

All UHF Shared UK Wireless Microphone licences bought on or after 4 January 2010 will

include these additional frequencies. However, those who have already renewed a channel

69 shared licence that was due to expire on or after 4 January 2010 may swap this for a new

channel 38/39/40/69 shared licence at no additional cost.

...although I did find the wording of the above less than clear and I haven't attempted to 'upgrade' mine yet. I take it you had a conversation about this with JFMG already?

There ARE areas where this stock would work but these are often in areas where we see a lower standard and lower practise within the industry. One then has to ask what its value is there and whether it be much greater than the residual value of it in the UK (which will be 10 and a half pence at best)

Divided into racks of 4, most kit should be sellable to schools or churches in channel 70.

Of course, if each one of these users has their own kit, do we reduce our customer base come DSO? "We've already got 4 radio mics, we only need to hire another 4 from you this time" comes to mind. That said, as they are still 100% serviceable in channel 70, the resale value should be higher than for a useless piece of kit on defunkt frequencies.

I'm certainly looking to buy a couple of racks of 4 come DSO. Hired out on their own to schools or churches, they are still a perfectly serviceable piece of kit, capable of bringing in a hire charge.

Archived