12v wireless dimming

peter

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or you just remove the reset spring from inside the control <_< does help when racing cars... could be classed as cheating though

... its been a long time since I fitted any lamps of those sort

3rd edit: one does not know how to spell at this time in the morning

You could use a usb-DMX adapter connected to a laptop up on your platforms. Then use 802.11b or even Bluetooth to network between it and another station... On the laptop(s) run some DMX software and some vnc software (RealVNC is free and easy), it would then be possible to connect to your laptop from the other station and control your effects. For power a deep cycle battery and a decent inverter (true sine-wave) along with a Alpha pack or something, is a quiet generator another option?

Aaron, you know the venue, generators would be noisy and the fumes would be a problem.

I've looked into the USB>DMX option, but I think its going to get too complicated if I do that - AdHoc networking is a bit dodgy, I'd have to power two laptops (A laptop generally consumes 75w - thats 1.5 lanterns I can't use, per battery). I'd also need to find 3 laptops.

Thanks for all the replies though. I'm looking into the usedlighting.co.uk solution at the moment, and a couple of bespoke systems.

Peter

As a slight aside from this thread I've just recently bought some stuff of Iain/usedlighting.co.uk and found him/them to nothing but helpful and friendly. Exchanged a few e-mails with Iain about these purchases and the odd other thing and he seems to be a top chap to me.

Well recommended.

Stu

As a slight aside from this thread I've just recently bought some stuff of Iain/usedlighting.co.uk and found him/them to nothing but helpful and friendly. Exchanged a few e-mails with Iain about these purchases and the odd other thing and he seems to be a top chap to me.

Well recommended.

Ditto.

Just been having some thoughts about different ideas...

1. Could you have an infrared sender/reciever so no actual cables goto the platform (presuming you can power a dimmer with a deep-cycle battery or something), then again you can get DMX over DECT phones can you not?

2. Could you not cheat and wire the lights directly to some low voltage power rail(s) (think london underground) and just use a 12v supply down them along with a simple potentiometer for dimming?

3. Another idea would be to maybee create some sort of system with an neutral plate on the ground with some sort of hot plate up in the air use a brush to pick up power (aka dogume cars).

All the ideas depend on the complexity of the design (as in how much the lights are actually needed (and do they need to be controlled on a per-latern basis))...

As I say, the truck has to move around the stage, so the effect must be totally mobile, not relying on any sort of pickup or cabling.

At the moment the idea is:

12v Battery > 12v Dimmer/DMX reciever

with a transmitter running in prompt corner to give me ~30m range. It amazes me that there arent more products out there for this sort of situation though.

Archived