12v wireless dimming

peter

I'm not an LX bod so I don't know the relative prices, but there are wireless MIDI senders/recievers available which could be used with DMX converters.

The other thing I was thinking of was a home made system using audio transmission and a DTMF tone generator/receiver + DMX converter, although it would require a fair bit of soldering as I doubt it's something you can buy off the shelf.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I am missing something with the original post, but do you actually need to be able to dim the lights? 50w MR16's aren't overly bright anyway and if they are, then 35w or 20w may be better.

But could you not run the lights straight from a 12v battery and use any of the off the shelf wireless switching products that switch a 12v relay to control your lights on and off.

What about using IR and maybe IR receiver and motor for the resitor from a volume control knob of a hifi to send a 0-10v analogue signal to your dimmers - may end up needing a remote for each lamp though but it might be an option.

Oh and motor cycle batteries seem to often have quite a high amapage at 12v but the battery itself is smaller if space is an issue.

Guest lightnix
www,schnickschnacksystems.com waere showing a system of transmitter, and receiver-dimmer for DC use at PLASA

Now there's a coincidence. Erhardt Lehman, the founder of schnickschnack is a good old friend of mine, from the time I spent freelancing for VLD. Last night, I introduced him to London Pride :) , but that's by the by... He's an excellent electronics guy with some very interesting ideas and I can heartily recommend his products.

It may be a bit late, but he's on stand D97 at PLASA.

• 1 month later...

We do show year last with 30 objects move on mechanical base with lights for big outdoor show. The show have ghosts of house machines like washing machine, microwave, kettle etc. Some move in line straight across stage slow with no steering some with radio control.

The lighting controlled by radio DMX using modules from www.dmx4all.de very cheap system that you buy as kit. The DMX was sent to pulse width dimmer in DIN case from www.chamsys.co.uk and used 12V battery to control max 6 lights in object.

radio module with battery was made to plug in so that it moved from different object during show. We had 12 control for 30 object. Much fun keepin all working for 3 weeks.

Patrice Voltaire

Archived