AVD Multiplay

Lamplighter

It'll play anything supported by Direct X on your computer. If WMP plays it Multiplay will.

However, the file extension IS NOT the codec. Files can have the same extension but different codecs, and consequently one will play and the other won't.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, it's time to look more closely on how the Media Folder function works. It mostly works, but has some quirks.

Currently, the idea is for the Production File to be saved into the Media Folder when one has been set.

Is this the right way to think? Should users be able to save the Production File to somewhere other than the Media Folder?

I had a performance today...2 hours before curtain up - everything fine audio wise... 30 seconds 'till curtain up - I thought I'd better do a quick sound check, just in case...turns out that multiplay was crashing when the GO button was pressed. (WHAT DA ACTUAL F&%$ !) Rebooted, logged in/out, restarted processes...NUFFINK. Luckily I had an SCS demo on my machine, but decided to use the back up CD instead. So no smooth fading etc...

It was a very close call. Not fun.

I was running windows 7 64bit on a dell laptop. Never had a problem before...but now I do not trust multiplay. GRRR.

(I would just like to add that before this problem occured, I really liked multiplay, it's a nice user-friendly piece of software. It just needs extensive testing CROSS-PLATFORM!)

Hi willdowuk,

I have not tested MultiPlay on Windows 7 as I do not have a Windows 7 machine to do so. If MultiPlay was a commercial app that generated a revenue stream (apart from the odd donation - thanks to those people), I may be able to justify it. As it is, MultiPlay costs me way more in software development tools than what I get back. I continue to offer and improve MultiPlay to help amateur theatre get the most from their (non-existent) budgets. Due to other hobbies and commitments, I am not involved in theatre myself these days. All my continued work is for you guys!

OK, mini rant over. :blink:

Can you give me some detail on exactly what happened? Maybe send me the log, production and preference files?

My wife now has a Win7 laptop (only 32 bit though) so if I can wrestle it out of her hands for a few hours I may load up Multiplay and experiment though.

FYI, on advice from those who know more about software writing than I do, I've been avoiding Windows 7 for any "serious" audio. There's a list of things Microsoft have done (largely to keep the big record companies happy and make things simple for gamers and Youtube watchers) that make W7 a not very good platform for pro Audio.

To willdoweuk, I hope you didn't have lots of typical rubbish running in background when trying to do theatre playback. Computer playback is VERY reliable normally--but only if you keep your computer nice and clean. Things like Antivirus, Wifi, and many other background programmes can up and bite you at the worst moment if you leave them running.

Bob

• 2 months later...

Hi All & David

Been using Multiplay for a couple of years now and have enjoyed the updates and fixes. Design and run sound for 2-3 shows a year at community theatre. I have access to a couple of Win 7 machines (32 & 64) and would be willing to eval some of the beta's if your'e (David) still working on them. At the theatre, I still run an XP laptop since its pretty stable and doesn't have any interfering softwares such as virus checkers, wi-fi, scheduled updaters, or things that might pop up during a run.

Hi willdowuk,

I have not tested MultiPlay on Windows 7 as I do not have a Windows 7 machine to do so.

Thanks

John Jung-Zimmerman

The annoying thing it that the crashing has only occurred a couple of times. But when it did, no amount of reboots or re-installations fixed it.

To willdoweuk, I hope you didn't have lots of typical rubbish running in background when trying to do theatre playback. Computer playback is VERY reliable normally--but only if you keep your computer nice and clean. Things like Antivirus, Wifi, and many other background programmes can up and bite you at the worst moment if you leave them running.

I use a separate user account when I use multiplay, the internet is off, avg off (basically everything extra is off). So it's quite puzzling really. And it's a good spec laptop as well.

Ive played with multiplay on a win7 64 machine, not had any issues, played back anything thrown at it as usual, Im still not 100% trusting on win7 for live work though, too many bits I havnt found how to turn off yet, my good ol XP is a stripped back version, nothing automated, no antivirus, no nothing except multiplay, cubase, accurate CD ripper, VLC and a format converter.

just one thing, its somthing Ive not played with for a while, video playback, is it fully working? I'm just trying to get it to work on my show machine (XP pro) and my desktop (7 64) and its not playing.

I just get a quick flash of the first frame of vid, and nothing else, Ive tried wmv, avi and mov.

or am I missing a tick box (usually am!!)

• 4 months later...

I have a severe sound quality issue when using multiplay with my win7 64bit laptop. I am aware that this has been picked up by other users. Is there any plans for a future fix of this? Really like the software but can't use it in its present state.

Regards

Not sure how easy it would be to implement, so I might be asking the impossible (or severely time consuming!)

I've got a couple of machines with 5.1 surround sound cards (all basic cheap bits but all I can get my hands on at the moment) which as well as having L/R outs have another 2 outputs for rear and sub/centre. As opposed to having to have 2 extra external cards, is there anyway that Multiplay (or an external piece of software?) can route outputs 2 & 3 to the rear and sub channels on the soundcard?

At the moment, Output 1 routes to the L/R Output of the soundcard, and to use extra outputs we need extra soundcards. Would be useful to have this facility for rehearsals.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks for letting us know Brian!

Not sure how much this will be of help to Win7 users, but it worked for me!

Tonight, we noticed that the house music playlist sounded odd and not brilliant quality - although the rest of the playlist sounded OK. Playing back the house music files in iTunes sounded fine. A bit of investigation revealed that the show audio was all in WAV format, but the house music had been saved as MP3 files. Just as an experiment, I converted the house music into wave format, and it sounded much better.

This also explains why I hadn't had this problem before - usually everything I use is WAV - it was only on this show that I used MP3 format for the house music (stuff I'd used on my XP show machine in the past) so noticed the sound quality difference.

I now know to convert everything to WAV before importing it to Multiplay. Hopefully, this will work for other Windows 7 users too!

Archived