AVD Multiplay

Lamplighter

I'd like to progress on development of the Telnet interface I've recently introduced to MultiPlay.

At present, only a few simple commands are available, such as GO, STOP ALL, FADE ALL, etc.

For triggering specific cues, I'm thinking of the syntax: "GO xx" where xx is the Q description.

Similarly, there would be "STOP xx", "PAUSE xx", "RESUME xx" commands. (all without the quotes)

Using the Q column seems appropriate since it can stay the same, even if the target cue moves about in the list. (due to insertion, deletion or moving)

Even if you don't plan on using remote control of MultiPlay now, I'd appreciate your input. :)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this for in the master list? If so, I'd really like to be able to control more than one slave machine from the master.

For referencing cues, I'd envisage having something along the line of "Go Qxx on MPyy" Where Qxx is a unique ID given to a cue on creation, therefore allowing the actual Telnet cue to work with a system where more than one Q has the same description.

The MPyy would be a device ID given to each running instance of the program.

HTH

Josh

Is the idea that the telnet aplication would run on one of the multiplay pc's? The idea being that the telnet pc also runs multiplay and takes its' commands from the telnet application, meanwhile a second pc also running multiplay takes commands from the first pc. That way you only need 2 pc's to get redundant, tracking playback. If the telnet interface has to sit on a third machine, it adds to the amount of hardware,and if the network dies, you loose playback on both multiplay machines.

Is this for in the master list? If so, I'd really like to be able to control more than one slave machine from the master.

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to trigger MultiPlay from another program such as a software lighting console.

Another possibility is a small application that has just a couple of buttons (GO, Stop All, etc) so MultiPlay can be started from a remote PC. I have a Telnet version of Serial Buttons in the works.

For referencing cues, I'd envisage having something along the line of "Go Qxx on MPyy" Where Qxx is a unique ID given to a cue on creation, therefore allowing the actual Telnet cue to work with a system where more than one Q has the same description.

I was thinking of using the recently introduced Q column, as it should be unique to each cue but still editable.

The MPyy would be a device ID given to each running instance of the program.

A normal Telnet client can only connect to one instance of MultiPlay.

That said, I guess it would be possible to create a control application that simultaneously sends commands to multiple instances of MultiPlay with separate host & port parameters.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Is the idea that the telnet aplication would run on one of the multiplay pc's?

The good thing about Telnet control is it can be anywhere on the network, including the same machine as the target.

The idea being that the telnet pc also runs multiplay and takes its' commands from the telnet application, meanwhile a second pc also running multiplay takes commands from the first pc. That way you only need 2 pc's to get redundant, tracking playback.

I'd have to get MultiPlay to spit out a Telnet packet on each GO, Stop All, etc to make sure they stayed synchronised.

I sort of thought of it being like any other MP cue type. E.G. If I had one machine at the side of stage that fed directly into a practical speaker I could remote control the cue list from MP at the sound desk.

Although, TBH MSC would allow all of this too and is a standardised show control protocol.

Josh

I sort of thought of it being like any other MP cue type. E.G. If I had one machine at the side of stage that fed directly into a practical speaker I could remote control the cue list from MP at the sound desk.

You could certainly have the "master" MultiPlay use Telnet cues to trigger specific cues on a remote machine, also running MultiPlay.

In fact, MultiPlay could trigger other types of cues that it doesn't support natively (via 3rd party software). Maybe PowerPoint presentations, program launching or almost anything.

Although, TBH MSC would allow all of this too and is a standardised show control protocol.

I'll be working on MSC again in due course.

Having just completed a 2-week run using David Duffy's superb Multiplay for sound cues, I thought a brief post of my experiences might be of interest to some:

I settled on version 2.4.2 as the show was getting close and, accordingly, installed same on the rack computer (a desktop celeron 2.5) and built showfiles from scratch, as I had problems when porting older files: Then the lighting tech. pointed-out that I could well have grief if the generator "browned-out" during a show, so I updated the version of Multiplay on my netbook and ported the showfiles so as to have a backup running beside the main machine.

As it happened, the genny performed flawlessly and the only time I needed the backup was when, one night, the last 6 cues, which had quite complicated attributes, somehow defaulted to an old version and failed to function proper. The netbook took over almost imperceptably, and red faces avoided.

To return to the point of the post; the netbook ( Samsung NC10) ran the show flawlessly - No perceptable noise from the line-out jack, whereas the main machine needs usb and a filter to remain quiet. The only limitation I found is that the somewhat restricted screen depth meant I had to scroll a bit more than normal.

All in all a great piece of kit for the job; and so easy to carry to rehearsals.

Pete

Moderation: Thans for the useful post, Pete. I've merged it with the existing Multiplay topic to try and keep everything together for the future. Bob/BR Mods

David

Re the false stepping of cues previously reported by some users I recently observed a phenomena that may be relevant ( or a total red herring) If you step down the cue list using the down arrow All is normal until you reach cue 35. From 35 onwards as you proceed down 2 cues are highlighted the lower one briefly. The lower highlighted cue increments by 2 as the upper increments by one. My cue list is 52 items long. When you reach around 40 a second cue list is seen below the normal one. All of this is only apparent if the function " keep the active cue visible in the grid" is active.

Brian

All of this is only apparent if the function " keep the active cue visible in the grid" is active.

You're probably correct here. The code for that bit was a bit convoluted and it looks like there's an issue with it. I'll see what I can do to sort it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this board and topic after using multiplay for 2 years. Learned a lot from reading posts. Currently mid-way through a two week run using v 2.45 No problems. I've noticed that "fixed path mode" is greyed out on the production properties properties. I've gotten around that by keeping the player and sound files all in a directory in C:/ so I can move between computers at home and at theatre with a flash drive and keep a back up system on a laptop ready to go if something fails catastrophically.

Is "fixed path" broken?

2nd question is that when inserting a new audio cue or control cue, it is sometimes inserted at the top of the cue list even though the "current cue" green arrow and grid-row highlighter are on a much later cue. Is this by design?

Thanks for great piece of software that has made my life a lot easier.

John

South Bend Civic Theatre

Running mostly on XP sp3

Hi John,

Fixed path mode is not available at present. (work in progress)

Are you inserting the cue by clicking one of the cue buttons or dragging it down onto the grid? If dragging, the cue will be inserted at the drop point. If just clicking, it will be inserted at the current selected row.

I'm not sure how popular it would be but its something that I think may help people. Group Cues.

I know that you can set one cue when it starts to trigger another and so on and so on but it would be possibly helpful if they could be combined into a group cue, possibly with the sub cues indented on the cue list or as an expandable drop down or something along those lines.

I'm not sure how popular it would be but its something that I think may help people. Group Cues.

It has come up before and in the FAQ there's a future feature entry about hiding cues, which could potentially do/be the same.

It's still on the cards, but not at the top of the "to do" list right now.

Are you inserting the cue by clicking one of the cue buttons or dragging it down onto the grid? If dragging, the cue will be inserted at the drop point. If just clicking, it will be inserted at the current selected row.

Inserting using one of the cue buttons, (usually new audio or new control cue). With the following settings:

sycronize grid-No, keep current cue visable-No. insert after current cue-Yes.

Trying to insert a cue pretty far down a long list of cues, while current cue is selected and current cue row is highlighted, eg Cue 70 out of 85, the new cue will be inserted after cue 2 or 3 rather than after cue 70 and the cue list will scroll back to the beginning of the list. It has done this to me intermitently. Even if cue 69 has just played.

Thanks for the quick reply.

John

ps. local paper gave us a good review with honorable mention made of the sound design...(would not have been possible without multiplay.)

Trying to insert a cue pretty far down a long list of cues, while current cue is selected and current cue row is highlighted, eg Cue 70 out of 85, the new cue will be inserted after cue 2 or 3 rather than after cue 70 and the cue list will scroll back to the beginning of the list. It has done this to me intermitently. Even if cue 69 has just played.

I can't seem to reproduce the bug. What version of MultiPlay are you using?

ps. local paper gave us a good review with honorable mention made of the sound design...(would not have been possible without multiplay.)

Well done old bean! :P

Archived