AVD Multiplay

Lamplighter

I can't seem to reproduce the bug. What version of MultiPlay are you using?

Using v 2.4.5. Also could not reproduce on newer machine at work. Might be issue with poor onboard video and slower processor on the laptop at theatre where I run it. Maybe I could use it as justification for buying new laptop. :P

Does the audio engine preload the cue files into ram? if so might it also be a ram issue with large number of cues.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've fixed a few issues and done some minor improvements. I'm now posting the release notes as I make changes, even if that version is not yet released. That way you can see what will be in the next release.

Don't forget I'm always happy to hear from MultiPlay users, whether it be bug reports, feature suggestions or how you used MultiPlay in your show. :D

I've noticed that a single sound file cannot be played using the key assignment until the previous instance of that file has finished playing. e.g. I have a 3 second "gong" sound. If I write a separate cue for each gong, they can all be started on top of each other. I wanted to assign it to a key-press because the number of gongs needed is variable but when I assigned it to a key press I could only have one instance playing at a time per key press. (couldn't start a second gong while the reverb from the first was still playing. Is this something that could be added to the wish list?

Thanks,

John

What you're asking for is the ability to have multiple instances of the same cue playing. This is probably best steered clear of, as if implemented could cause mass confusion in regard to the advance action.

One simple way around it is to have two gong cues and trigger them alternately with adjacent hot keys. eg. F1 & F2.

Another variation (if multiples of 2 gongs is ok) is to have the following:

• Audio Cue (Gong) - set to "start play" and with a hot key.
  • Wait Cue - time set to slightly less than the gong (into the reverb)
  • Audio Cue (Gong) - set to "no action".

Pressing the hot key would give you two gongs. For more than two, press hot key again during reverb of 2nd gong.

I can see where junqzimm is coming from though. On shows like panto (where sound cues can be pretty random with all the ad libbing) I tend to use Soundplant rather than a set of stacked cues. Soundplant is exclusively key assignment software with a sound per key--and gives the option of the keystrokes sustaining or killing the previous cue (and a couple of other things I never use).

I can understand your hesitation when dealing with a stack of cues but when dealing with assigned keys it makes sense.

Bob

Maybe there's a need for a new type of audio cue - one that is more aligned with hot key operation. Hmmm....

EDIT:

Having thought about it a little more, maybe a separate "ad-lib" list, with each item having:

• Name (is this even required?)
  • Audio file name
  • Audio output
  • Volume
  • Pan
  • Hot key
  • Mode (overlap, interrupt others, etc)

It could reside in it's own little docking window that shows the hot key and file name (or name) for easy reference.

Maybe there's a need for a new type of audio cue - one that is more aligned with hot key operation. Hmmm....

EDIT:

Having thought about it a little more, maybe a separate "ad-lib" list, with each item having:

• Name (is this even required?)

This would be great and yes, I think the "name" would be helpful. (some of my audio clips have file names that are less than useful for the production I use them in). I tried using multiple hot keys for the sound but 2 wasn't enough and 3 started to get confusing.

I'll look into what's involved. What modes should there be? I'm thinking:

• Normal - cues can overlap, but only one instance of each cue at a time
  • Multiple - cues can overlap, but multiple instances of each cue are allowed
  • Single - triggering a cue stops all previous cues (restarts cue if already playing)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

Just started using Multiplay for a highschool production of Cabaret I'm working on.

Would it be possible to add a feature (selected in preferences I guess) that changes the action on inserting a new cue? So it inserts the new cue, then jumps straight to the cue properties window so that you can edit volume, triggers etc? Would save time having to double click and do so manually.

Also I am having a problem where when I open Multiplay v2.4.6.0 (as you can see in the pic) the text is far too big. Normally it should be as in the second pic. When I go the appearance tab, the text size I have selected is 8pt, when I click to change it it jumps to 10pt, then appears correctly when I select 8pt again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/davidelsbury/mplay.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/davidelsbury/mpaly2.jpg

Any idea what causes this? Running WinXP SP3, on a HP netbook if that helps at all.

Cheers- brilliant software :P

Hmmm.... can't seem to replicate the font size bug here. I even tried setting Windows to use larger fonts, but it still seemed ok.

The only thing I can think of is an error in the production file which is causing the appearance settings to not load completely. Can you email me your production file please?

As for the other idea, I like it. I've created an option "Configuration > Cue List > Auto Open Cue Properties" in version 2.4.7.0 that does what you've asked for.

Yurp, ive had the font size problem too! Exactly the same!

I also found another couple of bugs on the latest show I've been doing. I had 2 different cue lists and when closing one and opening another, I found the scroll bar on the right of the cue list would nit go right to the bottom. That is, if you dragged the bar down rather than using the down arrows, it wouldn't reach the last cue. You had to use the down arrow button instead.

The other one was occasional and apparently random occurances when it wouldn't advance to the next cue properly. No pattern was discernable, it just occasionally wouldn't do it!

It did also start 2 cues at the same time whe it shouldn't have done, but I've got the go repeat time wound down pretty low cause of a fast succession of cues in the show. Could have tapped twice or held for longer than normal, so can't be sure it was a bug!

David Elsbury has sent me his production file and I've just now got it to play up. The problem seems to be that the appearance settings are not loading. Now that I've seen it here, I should be able to fix it.

I have seen the cue list scroll bar go weird a couple of times myself, but only on the version I'm working on now. I'll check into it some more.

With you say it "wouldn't advance to the next cue properly", do you mean that it just stayed on the cue that should have advanced it? The only thing I can think of there is the preview (vs go) command which does not invoke the advance.

How often have you had 2 cues fire together? What is the GO lockout time set to?

Archived