Sound Cue Software

ahocknul04

show cue systems is a gd one I've used u have 2 pay however the basic version isn't 2 expensive and it does work wonderfully (if only windows would work that well as well!)

this is the link to it

Moderation:

PLEASE - we hate text speak.

Show Cue Systems is a good one I've used but you have to pay. However, the basic version isn't too expensive and it does work wonderfully ...

I think this is what you meant - but I had to add an extra word to make it make sense. If this isn't what you meant - give any mod a shout and we'll repair it.

Anybody know where I may be able to find some Cue software for sounds and songs as I'm intressted in it I have tried SCS 10 but am not to much in favor does anybody know any other software?

Try SFX It costs is expensive. SCS 10 I use a lot and have no problems either with sound or video

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Anybody know where I may be able to find some Cue software for sounds and songs as I'm intressted in it I have tried SCS 10 but am not to much in favor does anybody know any other software?

I use SCS 10 and have no problem with sound or video. SFX is another program

What is it you don't like about SCS 10?

• 6 months later...

A drama group for which I design lighting use SCS (Show Cue Sysyem) for sound and have decided to buy a laptop and external soundcard to reduce the need for using members own laptops.

The need is for up to 6 speaker destinations and SCS Professional will be purchased.

The main questions that have arisen are:

Which is the best operating system Windows XP or Windows 7? (I have heard that some soundcards are not supported by Windows 7).

What is a good external soundcard to buy?

Is a USB connection good enough or should firewire be considered?

What spec of laptop is reccomended.

Apologies if these questions have already been answered in posts I have not yet found.

Spotblaster

Look on the SSC forum, it has a topic devoted to sound cards that are found to work OK with SCS, also info on USB/Firewire

but to answer your questions.

SCS work fine with Win7, so it depends if the external card you choose has Win7 drivers.

USB2 works OK an can handle 4 stereo outputs easily.

Laptop spec, it works OK on a netbook with Atom cpu so any new lappy will be OK

HTH

The days of recommending XP are long gone - it's not even supported any longer. Windows 7 is fine. So is USB. Firewire interfaces are getting less common now. I have both here and don't have issues with either. I quite like Windows 7. One system here has 7 on it with a multi in/out audio device. A pretty fast and solid setup, but the same interface sits happily on an old laptop too. The reality is that even vista, which most people dislike, works fine. It's the other software you put on it that bloats it out and then, it gets flaky with audio. A new software install, no silly software and a decent interface won't give you problems on any of the platforms - but as 7 ships with most now, why bother even thinking of anything else?

Unusually, I'm going to disagree with Paulears on this one.

First, on OS: Windows 7 (and Vista) are not particularly friendly for multitrack audio. With SCS and specific sound interfaces you may be lucky but, if you read the Theatre Sound group list server, a good many of the "big boys" in the West End and on Broadway are still specifying XP (if they venture out of the Mac world of course). As Paul says, you will likely find it much easier to buy a laptop with Win7 pre-installed but, if you do, make sure you dig deeply into the drivers available for the sound interface you purchase.

Second, although USB2 would be fine for the number of tracks (six) you ask for, you'll quickly find your choice of devices with more than 4 outputs gets pretty limited. For six outputs, you'll find a lot more to choose from if you move to firewire. If you do go that route, one device I suggest you look at would be the M-Audio Profire 610. It'll give you up to 8 balanced analogue outputs (plus 2 S/PDIF), good quality and reliability at a price a lot lower than many others. RME make great kit if you have the budget--but you'll pay approaching a grand for the same facilities.

Bob

Roland (cakewalk) UA-101 gives you 8 balanced analogue outputs (plus 2 S/PDIF), on USB2 and works fine on Win7 (I use this set up)

Like I said above, look at the SCS site for the list of known good cards!

With firewire, you have the problem of compatibility between firewire chip sets and also not all lappy have firewire so you are restricted in choice and flexibility

Archived