Chamsys Users

DonkiDonki

- Latency is the real killer in lighting control, which is why I simply don't trust WiFi for any timing-critical functions.

I wouldn't use the WiFi for a show, just for remote desk access.

Personally I am still very wary of using wireless DMX, I do so many corporate shows where the rock-solid-in-rehearsal radio mic sytem has a nightmare during the show. (no matter where the noise boy puts his aerials) And then the reception bounces back up when they all go out for coffee. (I know all the iphones & stuff shouldn't interfere but they sure do sometimes)

Anyway, one of the few times I feel sorry for noise boys is when they can see their radios dying and can't do a thing about it. Don't fancy those issues with my lamps thank you very much.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Anyone listening (should that be watching?) who knows how to build DMX splitters?

The console has 4 built in DMX outputs which currently will be hard wired to both a 3 & 5 pin output each. (along with a warning only to connect to one at a time)

I would prefer the were actively split so can anyone build a 4x2 opto isolator, or perhaps point me in the direction of an existing one?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're going to buy a new router, you could buy a certain one and load this onto it. It's some open-source firmware that will greatly increase the features (and probably the reliability) of the router. There's a list of supported hardware on there.

Hey DonkiDonki, Great system. Probably a bit late in the day for this but what about a little numeric key pad for all those short cuts.

I was thinking about that, it would have been a keyboard with numeric keypad, but I am quite happy with how the touch-screens work with MagicQ in Touch mode so I haven't bothered.

In fact right at the beginning of the project I was planning on upgrading to a Maxi-Wing, but again the touch-screens work almost as well plus the cost saving from the non-upgrade covers a good deal of the rest of the project.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

There's a few dirt cheap DMX splitters on the market - it's probably easiest to buy a couple and mount their PCBs inside.

What do you call dirt cheap? It soon adds up with four of them.

This is the cheapest I've found - Stairville DMX splitter 2 - which isn't a bad deal but the box looks massive. Has anyone got one that they could have a look inside and see if it needs to be that big for the pcb or is it mostly the transformer?

I guess if I broke 4 of them down I could use just one psu betweens them, though possibly an uprated item if necessary.

Are there any more compact & cheap 2 way splitters out there?

If there is anyone with the know-how who might be interested in making one, please PM me to discuss it further.

I seem to remember a thread in which somebody showed that there are actually 8 isolators inside the Stairville 4 way splitter, though I may have got that wrong!

Can anybody remember which thread it was?

As far as I can guess from the pictures, the right hand side of the board will contain a 1 to 4 splitter, and each of the 4 outputs from that stage will feed into each of the inputs of the 4 "modules" along the board. You'll probably have to do a bit of hacky soldering / track cutting to put 4 separate XLR inputs into each of those stages, but it should work in theory. You'll also end up with a spare 1 to 4 DMX splitter too at the end of it!

Just to add: I don't have one of these units, so it's just an educated guess of what the board contains based on what people have said in that thread, and the pictures. Would double check with dbuckley or someone else who has one of these units to see if its possible or not.

At a minimum, I guess you'll need to add line receivers.

From the descriptions in that topic, I would expect the circuit of the Stairville splitter to be:

INPUT---+---LINE_RECEIVER---+---OPTO---+---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT
	|				   |		  |
	|				   |		  +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT
THRU----+				   |
						|
						+---OPTO---+---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT
						|		  |
						|		  +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT
						|
						|
						|		  |
						|		  +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT
						|
						|
								   |
								   +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT

You need to convert this to:

INPUT---+---LINE_RECEIVER-------OPTO---+---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT
								   |
								   +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT

|
								   +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT

|
								   +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT

|
								   +---LINE_DRIVER---OUTPUT

Which is do-able, with some track cutting, and a piece of Veroboard to house the extra line receiver chips.

As an aside, have you considered the total weight of your console? You seem to be acquiring a lot of different devices in there, all of which need power supplies - you might be able to save quite a bit of weight by consolidating these, using isolating DC-DC converters etc.

HTH,

Tom

As an aside, have you considered the total weight of your console? You seem to be acquiring a lot of different devices in there, all of which need power supplies - you might be able to save quite a bit of weight by consolidating these, using isolating DC-DC converters etc.

HTH,

Tom

To be honest, I was hoping there would be an existing DMX product or failing that someone with more electronics nonce than me (not difficult) would be up for building one.

If it's going to end up being a big heavy bodgy mess than I will leave it and just stick with the twinned 3pin/5pin outputs.

I like the idea of having as many useful features on board as possible, but a lot of it may end up being pipe-dreams without some expensive custom work.

The blue-room is proving most useful for this project, it's so handy having the combined experience of so many helpful people. B-)

The blue-room is proving most useful for this project, it's so handy having the combined experience of so many helpful people. B-)

And thanks to you as well. This must now be my favourite thread! I've even been inspired to make something similar (but smaller/cheaper) using a touch screen and PC, primarily for DJ lighting. However I'm going to have a go at making my own MIDI interface instead of buying a wing.

EDIT: Typo

Is anybody able to assist with finding some Neutrik chassis mount connectors at bargain-basement prices?

I am after 4x 5pin female & 4x 3pin female, latching and preferably black (although not essential). I would consider reclaimed connectors if they are in good condition.

Archived