First Loudspeakers for a tenor..

padraigdarcy

Dont buy a mic because its a dynamic or condesner, buy it for how it sounds.

dan

Emm. Interesting way of looking at it. I'm not opposed to getting a mic that happens to be dynamic as long as it sounds/performs as good or better than a condenser type. Cool. Thanks again Dan.

Condensers are well known for clean, clear, precise (and sometime clinical) sound. So a dull voice can have a little more sparkle, and they respond well to quieter voices. The downside is they're perhaps a little less reliable when abused. Note how Shure, who for many years advertised their dynamics as able to be beaten about by the likes of Mick Jagger. Bash an 86 or 87 into the ground and life may become difficult. Dynamics sound a bit more dull, frequency limited and close in, they have more bass than a comparable condenser cardioid. They sometime can be a bit thin sounding when a female with a quiet voice starts to go 'off-mic'.

They're very different beasts and although I've a couple of SM86s in the mic box, they only get used if the first choice produces a duller sound that I don't like on an individual artiste.

Ideally, like most things - you need three mics to try, to pick one!

Condensers are well known for clean, clear, precise (and sometime clinical) sound. So a dull voice can have a little more sparkle, and they respond well to quieter voices. The downside is they're perhaps a little less reliable when abused. Note how Shure, who for many years advertised their dynamics as able to be beaten about by the likes of Mick Jagger. Bash an 86 or 87 into the ground and life may become difficult. Dynamics sound a bit more dull, frequency limited and close in, they have more bass than a comparable condenser cardioid. They sometime can be a bit thin sounding when a female with a quiet voice starts to go 'off-mic'.

They're very different beasts and although I've a couple of SM86s in the mic box, they only get used if the first choice produces a duller sound that I don't like on an individual artiste.

Ideally, like most things - you need three mics to try, to pick one!

Well, I don't intend bashing my good new mic around now and shall be taking pretty good care of it! 'Clean, Clear and precise', as you say - this is exactly what I want from my microphone and why it's got to be a condenser.

ACTUALLY! Stop the lights. I've just come across an Electro Voice RE510 Condenser Mic. on streetwater. There's a Cardioid and Super Cardioid version. Wow, they look mighty sexy. Nice price too!

Wonder how they compare to beta 87a or Sennheiser e 865??

Obviously trust your ears but I would have thought that the Neumann KMS105 would be worth a listen but maybe a little too expensive, otherwise I have used the Rode S1 which has a very pleasant tone and comes out about £160

Speakerswise the ultimate solution would be either Nexo ps8's or D & B E3's

Mark

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I note you are in Ireland, give Rea Sound a ring in cookstown cos the have a pair of Martin F10's which would be great for you.

Obviously trust your ears but I would have thought that the Neumann KMS105 would be worth a listen but maybe a little too expensive, otherwise I have used the Rode S1 which has a very pleasant tone and comes out about £160

Speakerswise the ultimate solution would be either Nexo ps8's or D & B E3's

Mark

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I note you are in Ireland, give Rea Sound a ring in cookstown cos the have a pair of Martin F10's which would be great for you.

Thanks for letting me know about the f10's. I'll give Rea a call tomoro about it.

CHeers for all the recommendations.

Archived