Fit up Timelapse videos

micpool

I've recently discovered a great little camera for taking get-in time lapse video. It's a mini action cam called Mobius. It's used quite a lot in model aircraft circles to give cockpit recordings from RC aircraft. It's a Chinese import and there's not too much information about it out there, but it's a great piece of kit. It has an inbuilt battery and can be externally powered via a USB cable. It's no bigger than a box of matches and so isn't a pain to mount. I strapped mine to the balcony rail for my last get-in. It also records to micro USB.

There's some open source software available for it (written by one of the RC Plane guys) which gives you a proper control panel to make changes. It can run in a few different modes - 2 being for video recording (HD) and the 3rd being photo mode which is also the timelapse mode once you've set it up. You can configure the photo interval in software and then all you need to do is press the shutter button once, then walk away and forget it. It's also got a slightly wide angle lens on it, which is quite useful from the back of a theatre.

There's a really helpful review of it here along with some footage shot from it;

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

I did a fit-up video of our get-in for Narnia, but sadly the memory card (that later turned out to be a fake) died mid week and I lost the file system and formatting - tried a few data recovery software packages but nothing will touch it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Canon G series cams have this built in, as does the new Olympus OMD series. If you want something cheap though, get a Ricoh compact. I have two, a Caplio 5 and an R7. Cheap as chips on eBay, and if it falls over or gets nicked during the shoot its not the end of the world. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently discovered a great little camera for taking get-in time lapse video. It's a mini action cam called Mobius. It's used quite a lot in model aircraft circles to give cockpit recordings from RC aircraft. It's a Chinese import and there's not too much information about it out there, but it's a great piece of kit. It has an inbuilt battery and can be externally powered via a USB cable. It's no bigger than a box of matches and so isn't a pain to mount. I strapped mine to the balcony rail for my last get-in. It also records to micro USB.

Did you get any footage in the end of anything else ? I am thinking of getting one for our big get in in the next few weeks but not sure on the power and how long it will run ?

I almost want to keep it going for a week back to back and just ignore it until capture time.

Archived