Recommendation for simple desk

gregadams

Paul has a point about repairing it. An uncomplicated two-preset desk can be as simple as a pile of variable resistors.

With the budget you're looking at, you could also look at the second hand market for an analogue desk, and do away with the demux - I'd guess that you're going to need something with a -10v output, though (what are your dimmers?) - so be careful what you get. Something like a Zero88 Sirius might suit, but you've got the risk that you'll get one without the all important negative output card.

Paul has a point about repairing it. An uncomplicated two-preset desk can be as simple as a pile of variable resistors.

I think you'll find the old strand two (and three) presetters have a bit of electronics to generate the PWM necessary for dipless crossfades. May be impossible to find old germanium transistors though...

Strand Mini 2 Control Desk

These 2-preset desks contain no active electronic components. Channel fader levers are the double type with one fader each side of a common flat scale, with 10k Ohm strips, 10k Ohm fixed resistor and blocking diode (code 08 947 26, excluding knobs; 6 red and 6 green knobs code 08 947 85). Master faders are the single type with flat scale but have a 250 Ohm strip and no resistor or diode (code 08 947 34, supplied with 1 red and 1 green knob). Spare resistance strips are available, 10k Ohm code 08 947 42 for a packet of 10, or 250 Ohm, packet of 10, code 08 947 50. The colour code and pin numbers of the output cable and plug for each multiple of 6 channels correspond to the sequence given for the dimmer pack

Dipless crossfades didn't happen on these - one of the operator skills I learnt early on, making sure your crossfades were profiled, so they crossed on 6.5 was a satisfaction nobody ever noticed!

The Strand Mini2 had resistance strips, if no one has done it before, the strips can be reversed so a good side is available for the wiper.

However the original post said the analogue desk has flash buttons, so it is later than a Mini2.

There are several topics on cleaning faders, use the search function, however this is usually only worthwhile doing once.

I have seen quite a few Showtec Showmaster 48 desks used in schools and low budget commercial venues and they do the job. The Showtec Multi Exchanger demux has been rebadged in many brands and is a good unit. Watch out for the pin connections as some use male DB25 and some use female DB25 while gives opposite pin numbering.

thank you for all your help guys, I appriciate all of it.

I dont know what will happen, its all down to the establishment, I dont work with the best people for getting things done :wall:

it also wont happen anytime soon to let you guys know. you have all really helped me come up with various solutions to the problem

Thanks once more, I'll Definatly be a regular visitor to Blue-Room :drunk:

Greg

Archived