Comms Procedure

CharlieH

So when the lighting desk crashed, how did the people backstage know what was happening, when it would come back on, and where abouts to pick the show up from? I'd have thought an idea example of where comms would really have helped. You also said "the lighting desk crashed, I think" - if I were running the show, I'd want to know?

When It happened only the actors on stage knew at the time. I don't know what the desk did, I imagine they put the lights up manually, and reset the desk to start the sequence from where it left off. I have no idea what happened anyway.... it didn't matter.

[slightly OT]

I have a big red button on my lighting desk in my educational venue that says PANIC, it's there to distract the idiotic 'I wonder what that does?' button pushers out there from all the other buttons on the desk. This only works however because it is a fake button that does nothing except make the pusher look a bit of an idiot.

However I have found that instances of the DBO button being pressed have dramatically decreased since I glued it on.

Haha, during this show I did I put a loarge folded piece of paper on the props table which said DO NOT OPEN and told all of the cast not to touch it.

On the second night, many different actors were asking me why it said "I told you not to open it" on the inside.

What did I reply? To teach you about instructions :P

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When It happened only the actors on stage knew at the time. I don't know what the desk did, I imagine they put the lights up manually, and reset the desk to start the sequence from where it left off. I have no idea what happened anyway.... it didn't matter.

You see, this is the difference between acting as a real DSM, where you are the person who is in charge, and in the real world carries the can for everyone's mistakes - and school, where job titles are handed around like polos and nobody bothers to dish out responsibility.

If you were the stage manager in a proper show, then it would be YOU who noticed things going wrong - waiting for actors to notice something wrong can be like watching paint dry. Many wouldn't spot a mistake if it happened under their nose if it wasn't dialogue or prop based. You say you imagined they put lights up manually? You mean the lights failed out? The final nail in the coffin is saying it didn't matter. My DSM in panto does his show report contents, and then we add those to mine which includes things I noticed that he didn't. In most cases he looks at the notes and says LX43 went a little too early - and I didn't notice as a viewer, but he did - spotting the op predicted a cue that hadn't quite been given. Entrances, exits, odd lines messed up and anything that happened during the show is his responsibility, and if he tells me an LX went early because he cued it too early by mistake, then my usual comment was did the audience notice - and if the answer is no, I might not even put it in the report - but if the mistake was something like the LX desk crashing, then I'd want to know why so I can decide if it needs a proper repair, or maybe the op was fiddling and made it crash these things are very important. In school, your stage manager duties could simply be prompt and house tab opener and nothing else - but if that's the case, you're not really a stage manager at all, because you're not managing anything.

EDIT

I typed this before I read your post in the other topic.click here

...didn't know you guys felt so passionate about it all.

paulears - okay, you seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to thinking that you're big.

You see - that's the trouble. Many of us do this for a living. As it happens I sort of think it's a duty to inform students when they've got it wrong. Sadly, thinking maybe your teachers would do it first doesn't work.

When you, as a student join a forum, why get cross with people who have been doing it for longer than you have been alive? Maybe, just maybe ... they might be right. The one good thing is that we're also old enough to take the occasional pop, and think nothing of it.

Mind you - it's always quite sad when people come back in a few years when they re-read their older posts and grimace, and the rules don't allow them to just vanish - this happens many times.

Paul

... Many of us do this for a living.

And some of us don't, but it doesn't stop us being passionate about theatre, and wanting to do it "right" :)

Seconded - I definitely only count as an amateur (as I have another full time job) but have been fortunate enough to work on a number of professional shows also. I know of a school where the DSM managed the show well, called cues, and was expected to produce a show report - she would notice anything that went wrong before anyone else and it was pretty close to working in professional theatre. Likewise I know of school environments where the "stage manager" is the person that opens and closes the curtains and maybe calls cast to the stage...

It's worth noting though that there are those of us out there who are not doing this for a living but still care about doing it properly. I've done more short courses to further my knowledge in theatre than I have in my 'real' job ;)

Returning to the original topic for a moment - I'd definitely go without a lot of things before comms - they're essential for the smooth running of many shows and become more important where there are potential risks such as flying, pyro etc - both of which I've also experienced in the context of a school environment (quite a few years ago now though ;))

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been told to never say 'fire' or 'bomb' on radio/cans.

We use:

'Mr Sands' for a Fire

and

'Friend of Mr Sands' for a bomb.

Indeed. It's just not to worry the audience if there is no need to. I may be wrong in saying that there is not set "names" for these things from venue to venue as I have certainly seen different names for these at various venues.

Not just on radios and comms either, any staff to staff communication.

These code words are not usually 'banned' on comms - these people are exactly the ones who need to know the facts - it's the audience/public who don't! So a public announcement asking of Mr Sands can come to the upstairs bar is a way to make the staff aware the bar's on fire, or whatever - without alarming the audience. There's no reason to disguise this on cans, as everyone would know the code word anyway?

In fact, it's often instigated on cans, and plain speech used to alert the DSM who inserts the coded info into an innocent call to front of house speakers, or other areas where the public are?

I think thats what everyones saying Paul. The code words are fine, real words maybe not (thing are easily overheard).

However I reckon too many people know Mr Sands and his friends now, and most places should probably be moving on to a less easily interpreted code.

Slightly off-topic, but still on the subject of communications. I have just bought a set of Binatone Action 950s for our upcoming production, and I am looking for some earpieces. These will not be used mid-performance, but are going to be used during the interval, and pre/post show to give house clearance and fix any issues that may arise. The trouble is, the director wants us to have subtle earpieces - ie not proper headsets. He suggested the 'D' style earpieces with a PTT mic, giving us clear audio without being intrusive. The only issue is the Action 950s have a 2.5mm 3-pole TRS on them, and I cannot find any suitable headsets anywhere! The second one down on this link would be ideal, however it has the wrong connector on it. I know you can get adapters, but they add to the cost by about a tenner each http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif Does anybody know of anyone that stocks them? Or have any better ideas?

Many Thanks,

Charlie

Slightly off-topic, but still on the subject of communications. I have just bought a set of Binatone Action 950s for our upcoming production, and I am looking for some earpieces. These will not be used mid-performance, but are going to be used during the interval, and pre/post show to give house clearance and fix any issues that may arise. The trouble is, the director wants us to have subtle earpieces - ie not proper headsets. He suggested the 'D' style earpieces with a PTT mic, giving us clear audio without being intrusive. The only issue is the Action 950s have a 2.5mm 3-pole TRS on them, and I cannot find any suitable headsets anywhere! The second one down on this link would be ideal, however it has the wrong connector on it. I know you can get adapters, but they add to the cost by about a tenner each http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif Does anybody know of anyone that stocks them? Or have any better ideas?

Many Thanks,

Charlie

When I visited this link it read

Please remember to let us know which type of radio the accessory will be used with, by email or phone. So we can fit appropiate plug.

When I visited this link it read

Please remember to let us know which type of radio the accessory will be used with, by email or phone. So we can fit appropiate plug.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/mur.gif Doh! Thank you! It's been a long day http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

• 2 months later...

'Norman Price' has replaced Mr Sands in our place. He is always responsible for pranks/fires/vandalism/terrorist threats on Fireman Sam so why not extend it to theatre? hehe

Saying that, this is from a venue where whoever shouts loudest on cans is the one you listen to ...

(that was a joke by the way, before anyone sends me the canford audio technical manual)

Archived